Why do you think it is....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
Reaction score
That we've been getting a rash of generic chainsaw questions on the milling forum lately with the chainsaw forum just a few lines down the page?

Ian

New Guys?

Speaking as a relative New Guy around here, as you first scroll down the list of forums you hit the part where the section changes to the vendor forums and figure that's the end of the user discussion forums. The first couple of times here I did not notice that there were equipment forums below the vendor forums.

Some of the posts about chainsaw info here in the milling forum have been from newer users. Maybe this is why?

<shrug> :)

Speaking as a relative New Guy around here, as you first scroll down the list of forums you hit the part where the section changes to the vendor forums and figure that's the end of the user discussion forums. The first couple of times here I did not notice that there were equipment forums below the vendor forums.

Some of the posts about chainsaw info here in the milling forum have been from newer users. Maybe this is why?

<shrug> :)

I was here for a while before I ever scrolled past the vendor section. And hey, ask all they want, if we can help we will. We all own chainsaws afterall.

Maybe...............No trash talk.

Well . . . . . I used to frequent the CS forum (and still lurk occasionally - I still think it's still a very useful forum) and just once, stupidly popped my head above the parapet to suggest we stay a bit more on topic esp for newbies. I got 4 rep points almost immediately about my posting and about 50 replies telling me to basically F-off. My thread was made a sticky but notice it has now been removed. I recognise people have a right to yell stihl - husky ad infinitum at each other if they want to - I think it's unfortunate that it happens to be inside the best CS forum on the web. One could also make an argument about how trash talk is the reason it got to be this way? I also find the trash really clutters searching for something specific.

I don't have a problem with people asking - i only wish I knew more to help them.

Last edited:
Ya, you occsionally need to be a bit impervious to frequent the CS section. Having posted and lurked there for some years, my take on it is that they are mostly first rate guys but you certainly get a few grumpy fellows who are put out by newbie behaviors (not using the search function, asking simplistic questions, etc).

My opinion is that we're not curing cancer in the CS section.... there's definitely a social function being performed there as well as here... plenty of time for just about anyone who has any legitimate interest in chainsaws.

. . . but you certainly get a few grumpy fellows who are put out by newbie behaviors (not using the search function, asking simplistic questions, etc).

In principle I agree - we are not curing cancer, but we are dealing with potentially lethal machines. What I think we all should think about is;
- we were all newbies once - I have a good laugh at some of my newbie posts.
- how can anyone, let alone newbies, find anything using the search function in amongst all that noise?
- The simplicity of the question depends on who is asking. I get asked the simplest nuclear physics questions all the time but it doesn't take too much effort to treat everyone with basic respect.
- It is possible that some grumpy or unhelpful response to a simplistic question led someone to do something that damaged a machine or maybe even an injury.

I'm new and I posted a chain saw question on here because I didn't see the chainsaw forum. Once it got moved I quickly learned......Plus guys answered my questions.

Thanks,

Deck

In principle I agree - we are not curing cancer, but we are dealing with potentially lethal machines. What I think we all should think about is;
- we were all newbies once - I have a good laugh at some of my newbie posts.
- how can anyone, let alone newbies, find anything using the search function in amongst all that noise?
- The simplicity of the question depends on who is asking. I get asked the simplest nuclear physics questions all the time but it doesn't take too much effort to treat everyone with basic respect.
- It is possible that some grumpy or unhelpful response to a simplistic question led someone to do something that damaged a machine or maybe even an injury.

BobL, there ya go, making sense again. :) :cheers:

Couldn't agree more.

Last edited:
iv been on the site for a little while now and just recently noticed that there was a saw forum. sorry for the inconvenience guys. i scrolled down to where i saw venders and thought to myself that there would be no more information past that

iv been on the site for a little while now and just recently noticed that there was a saw forum. sorry for the inconvenience guys. i scrolled down to where i saw venders and thought to myself that there would be no more information past that

its not an inconvenience at all. We all own chainsaws and many of us fix our own.

The guys that lurk the chainsaw forum just might be able to help more than we can.

I'm sure you thought the same as all of us at one point. It's pretty strange the way the home page is laid out.

the home page is a little different. its all gravy though no hard feelings on my end

Latest posts

Back