Why does everyone run 50:1?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
anlrolfe

anlrolfe

Honor GOD, Country and Corps
. AS Supporting Member.
I thought you had to match the oil ratio to the style of muffler bearings.

My muffler bearings are optimized for 45:1

These bearings need to turn at the rated RPM or exhaust will build up and blow the engine.

I'm looking for advice in practical Muffler Modification (MM) to update my muffler bearings to 50:1

*** I mix a reputable JASO-FD at 50:1 then add Marvel Oil as a stabilizer bringing it to about 45:1
If you wanted to get crazy you could get conventional 30w bar oil and use it as mix oil dropping to 32:1. No skeeters and plenty of carbon. Can you say stuck rings?

I agree with what was said earlier about carbon buildup. Part of burning clean and efficient is consistency. Pick a mix ratio, set the carb and use fresh quality fuel.
Someone here once said, "old fuel is bad fuel"

BrocLuno

BrocLuno

ArboristSite Operative
Running CA gas with ethanol and MTBE, I run about 32:1. If I don't see a cloud of blue smoke and mosquitoes dying, I am not happy. Also run my own oil blend. Formula I started using in the dirt bikes years ago.

Of course some of my saws state 16:1 right on the casting, so they get a heavier dose. Don't know what modern saws want, I don't have any :)

BrocLuno

BrocLuno

ArboristSite Operative
Maybe, I have not read the fine print on the pump lately ... But I know that my carbs and diaphragms last longer, even with ethanol if I run a bit more oil. I think 2-stroke oil is the go to ethanol stabilizer. That and sealed gas cans that don't allow moisture accumulation ...