Why don't more tree co's have grapple trucks?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chucknduck

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am considering buying a grapple truck for my tree company. I can't think of any tree co's that have one around here. What would you guys recommend as far as grapple trucks go? Are they worth it, or would I be better off just loading the big stuff onto a trailer? I do a lot of large removals of elms, cottonwoods, etc

many reasons.

mostly cost of vehicle,cost of operation,and weight of vehicle.they are nice if you can justify it.

I do a bunch of removals but it still only makes up 60% of my total revenue. So 2 days a week my loader and stump grinder are sitting in the shop. Of the removals I do, my tractor works great more than 50% of the time (and a grapple truck would not). My question with grapple trucks is how do you get the material close enough to the truck? I would love to have one and will probably acquire one in the near future.

I have a small company and a small crew so I try to limit the number of vehicles going to a job site. If I need my tractor/loader to load stump grindings why bring a grapple along as well when the tractor works fine.

While a grapple would be more efficient in many cases I would struggle to find more work to fill up the void may by that efficiency. So I would be cutting into my labor hours in which I struggle to get the guys their 40 per week.

Sweetest set up I ever saw was a Peterbuilt semi pulling a tri-axle 45 yard dumping bin trailer. It was a self loading logging truck that also had a fifth wheel. We cut down two big (100', 30"+ at the butt, big branches) Douglas firs, he stuffed it all into the bin asap, bucked to length logs on top, under an hour. Would have taken a long time to chip, thats for sure.

Must be cost, otherwise everyone who does removals who have that, or something like it.

check out Gaston's Tree Service pic in the latest TCIA magazine. They have a picture of all their equipment but not one chipper. I think they are in Gainesville Florida.

I can get rid of chips pretty easy. I would have a tough time getting rid of the brush. Unless I buy a tub grinder.

The size of a semi rig with a 45 yard trailer would be prohibitive in many urban settings. Not to mention it puts you in the CDL class which many small operators try to avoid.

Was the tree on the ground when he started?

Last edited:
check out Gaston's Tree Service pic in the latest TCIA magazine. They have a picture of all their equipment but not one chipper. I think they are in Gainesville Florida.

I can get rid of chips pretty easy. I would have a tough time getting rid of the brush. Unless I buy a tub grinder.

The size of a semi rig with a 45 yard trailer would be prohibitive in many urban settings. Not to mention it puts you in the CDL class which many small operators try to avoid.

Was the tree on the ground when he started?

Uhh no, he just started ripping the branches off with his grapple........Yes, both of them were down, limbed and bucked to length.

There are certain jobs (5 or 10%) that are a just a huge pain without one. I know guys that use one on every single job. That may be overkill, but I'd definitely recommend one if your company is growing.

Seems like there is not the ultimate set up for any one tree removal crew. I struggle with it all the time. What do I need to be more efficient yet cost effective.

Larger companies with multiple crews can utilize more equipment more effectively.

Yeah, i would like one because I can have fewer employees? I have the work, but not the labor! They aren't cheap, yall are right about that one. But I'm thinking of getting an older model with some milage on it, then replacing anything that needs it.

I am considering buying a grapple truck for my tree company. I can't think of any tree co's that have one around here. What would you guys recommend as far as grapple trucks go? Are they worth it, or would I be better off just loading the big stuff onto a trailer? I do a lot of large removals of elms, cottonwoods, etc

Strange, several of the tree companies around here have them. We've got a 14 wheel kenworth with a prentice. Works great. It does all the big cleanup behind three different takedown crews.

grapple truck

the problem is insurance and the biggest cost cdl and to plate it because of weight.its over $2000 a year just to plate it then safety stickers.the cost has to justify the amount of work you do and type of work you do.

I heard a few guys talking about using a small knuckleboom truck. Chip into it, and then when the job is finished pop the top off and load the logs. Top goes back on and off you go. One guy over here has a VERY nice one, got it used from Royal about 10 years ago for ~40K

If you can get your bucket truck to the trees , figure thats nearly the same percentage you will be able to get a grapple truck to In my area that is about 30% of the trees(with using alturnamats).

With my skid loader with grapple I can get to 95% of where the wood lays. Grapple truck is no good for me. I will load more wood, with less expense, and I don't need to lay any mats down.

I buy and sell auction stuff a little and have had grapple/knuckle boom trucks before. I never considered them a really fundamental piece of equipment as far as tree work goes. One thing I can tell anybody that does not already know it is that if you don't get in a hurry you can find them way cheaper than dealers ask. Just shop hurricane areas about the time the clean up is winding down.

If you can get your bucket truck to the trees , figure thats nearly the same percentage you will be able to get a grapple truck to In my area that is about 30% of the trees(with using alturnamats).

With my skid loader with grapple I can get to 95% of where the wood lays. Grapple truck is no good for me. I will load more wood, with less expense, and I don't need to lay any mats down.

Thats probably why. I live in a spread out area of new mexico. I can get my bucket in 95% of the time, so I think I might just have to get it. Time to talk to the bank! lol

I have thought about buying one. I have thought about trying to just sell pick up service to a bunch of different tree companys. I would just charge to pick up the wood. I wonder if I could keep a truck busy offering this service?

Scott

I bet you could in a town that size. Just charge a fair price, like $75-100/hr. But, then the competition might decide to buy their own!

Latest posts

Back