Why DRT for newbies?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Say you've only got one functioning arm up top?

What descending knot can you tie with one hand to reach the ground, assuming you have a rope of sufficient length?

Old school rules....

jomoco
Under what circumstance would you be in a tree without a descending rope always in action?

Limbing a tree on your way up to a TIP.

jomoco
You should have a lifeline choked to the tree with a descender attatched. Advance it as you go. You should start this asap. I also choke the tail end around the base if we are within rope chipping distance. I cant tell you how many times i've quickly pulled up my tail cause it was being drug towards the chipper.

Should I?

Gee thanks....

jomoco
Maybe you in particular shouldn't if you take that attitude.

But the general public absolutely should. Theres been fatalities on here from lanyard mishaps without a second tie in. And wouldnt it solve your very own example of being single armed and needing to get down.

Gee... another *******

So you in your vast experience have yet to bump into an excurrent tree where two lanyards are used to bypass limbs that require a TIP and lowering line to avoid targets?

Don't tell me, you disco and reco your descension after bypassing each big limb!

Production oriented much?

Tell me more luv..

jomoco

No. I'd set a SRT line from the ground. Do you want me to climb the tree for you too?

You seem to have no rope experience. A "good ol boy" spike it all!

You want that tree topped? I'll spike up there and get it! Yeee hawww

No, the OP's question was why start on DRT?

My example of ascending a thick excurrent removal with two lanyards was just an example of why you need to know how to tie a descension knot with one hand in an emergency luv.

Or do you have Gerstenberger on speed dial on such occasions?

jomoco

Its extremely limited. And definately harder. But its something thats good to know. I think for a newbie the idea is to keep it simple. DRT is simple.

But NRT (no rope technic) is not for anyone

Nothing complicated about it. You're two lanyarding a thick excurrent removal, limbing the smaller limbs on your way up to your TIP, your chainsaw kicks back on you. Now your life depends on your ability to tie in with your bodyline and descend with one hand to the ground before you pass out from blood loss.

Best regards junior!

jomoco

Thats how you do tree work, not me. And yes, i use a lifeline in conjunction with my lanyard to scale the limbs. I choke a sling and clip into it. It might add 10 minutes to a day. Might. You can look for all the ways to be unsafe as you like, just dont include me.

Like I said previously, gee thanks for such valuable life saving insights on this dangerous profession Mike...

jomoco

Latest posts

Back