Why I Burn Firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is very true. I went to the dentist a month ago and the Hot looking girl that cleaned my teeth could smell the 2 stroke from my chainsaw. She said she loved it........................ :love1:

I need to meet one like that...

Quality time with my wife, she is not only best friend but best firewood partner. plus all those other things already mentioned.

I need to meet one like that too!

My wife came out twice this year, and mostly complained the whole time.She complained more than the kids do! Seriously, my son said to her, "mom, its not hard work... just do it!"

I lost track of numbering, but rest assured you can throw these in the face of any enviro-nazi that hate the idea of us cutting trees,

Burn fire wood releases less carbon particles into the atmosphere then any fossil fuel.

Thinning the dead wood from the forest allows more space, and light for the other trees to thrive.

Fun thread, doc.

I think you covered these indirectly, but I'll post as they relate to my particular situation with a cookstove.

In addition to having an ample stovetop that allows us to have up to six pans and skillets going at once, we have a large oven that allows us to make bread, cake, and other baked goodies, as well as roasted chicken, meatloaves, etc. The propane oven has not been used once since the first week of October. The propane man came for the first time today since August since all we need it for is hot water (except for making tea since we keep a kettle on the stovetop so hot water's always handy for consumption).

When we're not cooking in the oven, we occasionally open the door to allow a 500* whoosh of air out into the living area. This is great when I'm tring to get the house warmed up in the morning before the wife gets out of bed.

Also, I don't hunt (and haven't handled a non-antique a firearm in over 5 years). So finding sources of wood takes on some of that aspect of the hunt.

I don't know if this has been brought up already but it makes a good excuse to buy another chainsaw. I just might buy a 346xp this year. :D

Honey, I think I need another chainsaw to be able to cut enough wood so that I can keep you warm. :hmm3grin2orange:

My reasons and I think they have already been mentioned:
- Mental and physical health
- Piss off tree huggers
- Reason to buy more saws
- Cook jalapeno poppers
- Too cheap to support another darn ARAB country for their overpriced oil

My reason for getting the owb in 2001 and burning wood was purely financial based. We moved into a 5 bedroom brick farmhouse heated by oil and was very expensive to keep at a comfortable temperature. I figure we would be spending approx $4000 per year to heat the house and shop which would mean I would have to earn at least $6000 before deductions. That's a lot of coin. Since then I have grown to enjoy the whole process.

- Piss off tree huggers

Maybe it's a NH thing (we're the 2nd most forested state in the US) but the tree huggers I know advocate the use of wood as a renewable energy resource. From home heating to the generation of electricity.

The thinking is that if there is an uptick in the marketability of wood, more land will remain forested and responsibly harvested so timberland owners will have an economic incentive to maintain our rural landscape.

So I guess that I'm a tree hugger since trees heat my home and provide well-paying jobs to hard-working rural folks. :cheers:

180px-The_Giving_Tree.jpg

#(?) #(?+1)Cause it warms you four times, cutting it, splitting it, stacking it, burning it.

I actually don't like being cold in my house I burn it for comfort... It's worth it not to have to sit around in a down jacket and wool hat to be comfy. Instead I sit around in a t shirt and shorts watching it snow outside.
:cheers:

Maybe it's a NH thing (we're the 2nd most forested state in the US) but the tree huggers I know advocate the use of wood as a renewable energy resource. From home heating to the generation of electricity.

The thinking is that if there is an uptick in the marketability of wood, more land will remain forested and responsibly harvested so timberland owners will have an economic incentive to maintain our rural landscape.

So I guess that I'm a tree hugger since trees heat my home and provide well-paying jobs to hard-working rural folks. :cheers:

180px-The_Giving_Tree.jpg

First, the "four times" warming thing: try 7-8-9:cheers: .
1. Get to the tree with gear
2. Fell tree
3. Limb and buck tree ( or skid log )---clean up.
4. Hump butts onto trailer
5. Unload trailer.
6. Split said butts.
7. Stack splits.
8. Bring splits to stove rack.
9. Ahhhhh....load stove.:cheers:

The T-shirt thing: nice.

Now WoodBooga didn't tell the whole story of "most forested state". His envy is understandable for us in Paradise: it's MAINE , most forested. :clap:
Now about N.H. ..................:monkey:

Forgot: Think about the romance of a woodstove. Light snow falling. It's
2300H, almost time for bed. Stove loaded with those flickering flames shining through the clear front. You and the missus are ready. ight are out. Only the shining light out of the stove softly shines on the two of you............

Last edited:
Now WoodBooga didn't tell the whole story of "most forested state". His envy is understandable for us in Paradise: it's MAINE , most forested. :clap:
Now about N.H. ..................:monkey:

Shouldn't you be playing checkers at a cracker barrell or something.

Fine, you have a few more trees. But the fact is, when the day is done...

You're still in Maine. Ah-yuh. :monkey:

P.S. - I have more disposable income to buy toys on account of not having to pay Maine state income tax. Or Maine sales tax. Enjoy your few extra acres of canopy. :)

But seriously, there's some nice places in Maine. (I've been to both of them)

Shouldn't you be playing checkers at a cracker barrell or something.
Fine, you have a few more trees. But the fact is, when the day is done...
You're still in Maine. Ah-yuh. :monkey:
P.S. - I have more disposable income to buy toys on account of not having to pay Maine state income tax. Or Maine sales tax. Enjoy your few extra acres of canopy. :)
But seriously, there's some nice places in Maine. (I've been to both of them)

Hey WB: you are correct about Maine taxes---big big bureaucracy $$$$$$$.
Big brother in Augusta. e.g. you buy a car, pay the owner agreed price. Maine then TELLS you what the price should have been and you'll pay excise tax on THAT price, not what you paid.:cry:

But you do know WB, it's a fact, that N.H. has more women shaving than in Maine. :confused: :agree2: :help:

Oh, do not quit your day job.

Everyone...y'all are forgetting one reason....

Reason # ???: I get to hang on on arboristsite.com with a bunch of other firewood-obsessed people!!:hmm3grin2orange:

When I ski and tour, I often hug trees literally. Not intentionally though.

But I like to think I'm a tree hugger in the figurative sense as well.

Hey WB: you are correct about Maine taxes---big big bureaucracy $$$$$$$.
Big brother in Augusta. e.g. you buy a car, pay the owner agreed price. Maine then TELLS you what the price should have been and you'll pay excise tax on THAT price, not what you paid.:cry:

But you do know WB, it's a fact, that N.H. has more women shaving than in Maine. :confused: :agree2: :help:

Oh, do not quit your day job.
The reason we know the the toothbrush was invented in Maine is because anywhere else it would have been called a teethbrush.:clap: :clap:
I was born and still have a house in Maine but was brought up in NH. Maine does have sales and income tax but if you are a property owner you sometimes break even because property taxes in NH are QUITE a bit higher than Maine's. BOTH states are much better than where I live now........Taxachusetts.:cry: :cry:

The reason we know the the toothbrush was invented in Maine is because anywhere else it would have been called a teethbrush.:clap: :clap: BA-BOOM.:popcorn:
I was born and still have a house in Maine but was brought up in NH. Maine does have sales and income tax but if you are a property owner you sometimes break even because property taxes in NH are QUITE a bit higher than Maine's. BOTH states are much better than where I live now........Taxachusetts.:cry: :cry:

#2 : do not quit the day job. :dizzy:

Now to taxes: Total taxation in Maine is second only to N.J., maybe California. Massachusetts is way down there, N.H. is the lowest in the country. We know, we moved to Maine from Massachusetts!

Latest posts

Back