Why is Stihl bar oil more expensive than wally world?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
Reaction score
I've seen lots of posts where it's stated that all bar oil is the same and that it's just refinery junk... So I asked the question of Stihl... "why is your bar oil so special (expensive)" and here's what they say (paraphrased).

Stihl bar oil is Napthetic based, and most other bar oils are typically Parafinic (meaning wax based).

There are only 3 refineries in the US that produce Napthetic base oil. Only One produces Stihl bar oil - Omni. Omni offers a closed system meaning no other products flow through this line except Stihl. The napthetic base Stihl uses is a virgin base and is not re-refined or recycled oils since these types will always contain suspended contaminants. They also use twice as much paratac, (sticky) as anyone else. Paratac is the most expensive additive in bar oil which is one of the reasons Stihl more expensive.

I don't know much more than what I've stated/repeated above....

thanks for the heads up Lake.
FWIW, I understand your post and the reason given for pricing. but for me, the poulan pro at wallyworld for a much cheaper price, is fine for what I do, it doesn't matter what kind of oil you run when you rock out on a chunk of concrete of a piece of rebar inside a dang city tree anyway. so chains tend to have a shorter lifespan for me than say, your average firewood cutter or hillside timberman.
-Ralph

Thank you for posting that, i always have used it anyway because that is what Stihl recommends and for my $1000 chainsaws i am not going to argue with them, Its not that much more expensive when you only cut a little bit or on the weekends a gallon lasts along time.

Why Napthetic base?

Some clarifications/additions:

Parafinic means wax based, so it gets thin when hot, thick when cold. Temperature does not have the same marked effect on napthetic oil while giving them a much broader operating range (bar/chain temperature is part of this) . I found a big difffence when milling... it was night and day between my "Autozone bar oil" and Stihl.

Stihl Dino two stoke mix oil is parafinic. Solvents and pour point depressants are added to make it easy to pour and mix at colder temperatures. The solvent also helps to thin the mix oil since before the solvent is added the oil is the consistency of 90wt.

Interesting observations.

I was at a Stihl dealer who sold Poulan bar oil for $9, but the Stihl oil for $6 something.

I really like the Quaker State stuff most of the year. About the right thickness/tackiness. If you are lucky enough to have a Menard's lumber yard nearby, it's under $4/gal.

When it gets cold, I will set foot in Wally's to buy one of the two things I do buy there. The new Poulan oil is really thin (in the short bottles) where the old stuff used to be much thicker (I still have a couple of gallons). The other thing I buy is their candy "orange slices"...$1/bag with real sugar/no corn sweetener, made in Canada...what could be better?

I like the Husky oil too. Seems a bit thinner than the QS, but not by much, and the local dealer sells it for $4.50/gal. So, I buy some from them.

Don't use much? You don't chainsaw mill. Doesn't take me long to go through a gallon with the Auxiliary Oiler going and the 3120 on full tilt output.

Can't comment on the Stihl bar oil, since I've never used it. Never paid that much for a gallon, and not worried about exposing my saws to a less superior oil, even if Stihl would like that. I'm sure the stuff is fantastic, without a doubt, but I'm okay running any bar oil from a saw company or an oil company of any repute. Poulan bar oil hasn't made my saws start any harder, run any worse, or, worse than that, turn purple and green :laugh:

Mark

My speed up the bowels a bit. Spend much less time in the reading room with your laptop posting on AS.

Remember the WOW! potato chips? Splash.

Lake, Makes Me feel better, about the three cases I bought,
Dad wanted to take and use the 361, 2 weeks ago, I said
here is the bar oil and pre-mix And don't put any of that
used oil in IT! :)

Gary

Lakeside53 said:
I've seen lots of posts where it's stated that all bar oil is the same and that it's just refinery junk... So I asked the question of Stihl... "why is your bar oil so special (expensive)" and here's what they say (paraphrased).

Stihl bar oil is Napthetic based, and most other bar oils are typically Parafinic (meaning wax based).

There are only 3 refineries in the US that produce Napthetic base oil. Only One produces Stihl bar oil - Omni. Omni offers a closed system meaning no other products flow through this line except Stihl. The napthetic base Stihl uses is a virgin base and is not re-refined or recycled oils since these types will always contain suspended contaminants. They also use twice as much paratac, (sticky) as anyone else. Paratac is the most expensive additive in bar oil which is one of the reasons Stihl more expensive.

I don't know much more than what I've stated/repeated above....
Is that so the thruster widget technology exclusive to Stihl operates at the scientifically optimum turbulation point?

GASoline71 said:
Thanks Andy! Good post!!!:rock:

But the real question is... Can you cook french fries with it???:D :laugh: :D :laugh:

Gary

I bet it will keep the slack out of your chain!

I realize if you use a lot of it, it's good to try to save some money. If I used a lot, I would approach the dealers for a volume discount. I don't use that much and don't mind spending a couple bucks more a gallon to help support my dealer. I want him there when I need him!

Lakeside53 said:
Sure you can, but you'll die if you eat them:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Reminds me of a story I read in a book about a guy in Alaska. A bear had broken into his cabin when he was out on a hunting excursion for a couple of days. Bear ate everything in the cabin...including a quart of motor oil. Apparently the bear got into the motor oil fairly early in the process, because his cabin was full of "evidence" that regularity would not be the bear's problem for a while. He slept in his truck.

Mark

oldsaw said:
Reminds me of a story I read in a book about a guy in Alaska. A bear had broken into his cabin when he was out on a hunting excursion for a couple of days. Bear ate everything in the cabin...including a quart of motor oil. Apparently the bear got into the motor oil fairly early in the process, because his cabin was full of "evidence" that regularity would not be the bear's problem for a while. He slept in his truck.

Mark
Ah, so we now know the answer to the age old question regarding bears and woods. :)

I will normally burn a gallon of bar oil in a 6 hour working day - and I will state that it is pretty hard to find "bad oil".
Frankly, I don't think I ever have.
Last season I worked 234 days (in the TMBR Falling Biz that is a ton) and used three bars all season, which are still usable. I went through two different 55 gallon drums, I used the Wal-Mart brand, Poulan, Stihl, a mix of 30wt and hydrolic and what ever else I could get my hands on.
Sure with my 3 bars I replaced many tips (just because you can't find a good one anymore) ground and squezed the rails. On the tips it was always bearings that failed long before they would spread.
It is my proven opinion :) That if its not black and used you can't really go wrong if it says bar oil on it.

Tree Sling'r your a man after my own heart. If it is slick, pour it in there. I've used motor oil, transmission fluid, its all good!

Back