Why is Stihl bar oil more expensive than wally world?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leebo said:
:ices_rofl:

Then there is parking 1/4 mile away, wandering around in Wallymart, looking down in your cart to find $100 worth of crap that you threw in while you were looking for the bar oil, standing in line at the checkout and another 1/4 mile hike to the truck. Where is the savings?
Theres something to consider. Have you ever look something up in the handy parts books on the shelves and then go home to find out that it is the wrong part for your application.
The bar oil that wally world sells is not the same as last years. It went down in quality. Are they realy passing the savings on to you ?

manual said:
Are they realy passing the savings on to you ?
Why in the heck does anyone care what the profit margin is on products? The only questions you should be asking is if the product is worth the money being asked and if it compares with similar products. What the company has in the product should be of no concern.

The bar oil that wally world sells is not the same as last years. It went down in quality. Are they realy passing the savings on to you ?
The 6 gallons I bought a week ago are identical to the ones I have bought previously..
BTW to get in and out of Wally fast go in through the automotive deprtment and check out there as well.

Last edited:
Why in the heck does anyone care what the profit margin is on products? The only questions you should be asking is if the product is worth the money being asked and if it compares with similar products. What the company has in the product should be of no concern.

computeruser said:
I couldn't care less what WalMart oil costs, since buying it would require GOING to Wal-Mart to get it. Ick.

Anyway, in all seriousness maybe I'm not appreciating the true cost difference. It would seem to me that the price differential between various bar oils purchased by the gallon is so small as to not be worth even bothering to consider. How often do most of us go through a gallon of bar oil? A month? A day? An afternoon? A week? And we're talking about maybe a $4/gallon difference between cheap-o stuff and high-end stuff, right? I don't see where all the fuss is about price.

So, I figure it's kinda like worrying about which gas station is charging $.05/gallon less than another.

gallon or two an afternoon of cutting, milling. Gets pricy. hence my purchase of a 55 gallon drum

2 birds 1 stone

bwalker said:
The 6 gallons I bought a week ago are identical to the ones I have bought previously..
BTW to get in and out of Wally fast go in through the automotive deprtment and check out there as well.
I can care less what some one makes on profit.
But if they are useing a lessor grade then they used to then maybe they should pass on the savings.
Why would they thats how they are making a better profit.
Kind of like pre mixed anti freeze costing the came as non premixed.
Yes Ben, Wallys bar oil is a lesser grade. I can tell by chain stretch.
I am not the only one that has said this.

Anyone who thinks they have chain stretch because of using a certain brand of bar oil is. . ., how shall I say it. . ., a few grunts short of a sheet. :hmm3grin2orange:

I must have a Jamb up Stihl Dealer

:deadhorse: He sells the Stihl bar oil for a bit under 8 dollars :hmm3grin2orange: like was said before, it's personal preference and I am not about to Do the freakin 1/4 mi. wally world Hike to stand in a 1/4 mi. long line to save three or four bucks on a gallon of inferior quality oil:help: Not when I can drive around to the back of the shop to the load test logs, and see what they did on saws for the day, tune on your project saw and sip on a cool pop:cheers:

Life is good!!!!!!

Im sure the wal-mart branded Quakerstate oil works fine for you, :sword: for me I prefer stihl products and I just wanted to see if I could get you to bite, :popcorn: I run mostly Stihl Bars and Chains with some Oregon combos on my Huskies, and mostly all Stihl lubes, sometimes I partner on some Jobs and have run out of stihl products and had to borrow from my buddy and I think my equipment is stihl good:notrolls2:

Peace out

spacemule said:
Anyone who thinks they have chain stretch because of using a certain brand of bar oil is. . ., how shall I say it. . ., a few grunts short of a sheet. :hmm3grin2orange:

Really

Latest posts

Back