Why my back loves AS!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cnice_37

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I just had to give thanks to the several different posts and responses I have seen on here talking about pickaroons.

Step up if one of those was yours, and I'll hand out some rep courtesy of my back!

I grabbed one off Ebay and used it for the first time today while splitting. Holy crap, I grew a 3rd hand! I bent over only for the big rounds (80-100#ers.)

I literally had one hand on the valve, the other had the pickaroon, and I was a freaking machine.

Now I just need to finish that outfeed table, and I'm golden.

Sound like you got yourself a second buddy or a third hand. Hope it works out for you.

I'm interested

I'm familiar with pickaroons, just never thought about their use with a splitter. So it made it easier for you to lift logs on to your splitter? Pics for clarification please! Maybe it will make me change back from my revelation of setting the 22 ton TSC right next to the stack in the vertical position(Wow, I thought. Why lift it when you can take one hand and roll the log off the stack while sitting and throw the much smaller splits onto the row/stack?)

Always looking for a better way...

What is it?

Enter "Pickeroons" into your search or go to Baileys (site sponsor).

They are a short handle (30-36" range) 'stick' with a sharpened spike at right angels on one end. Worth 10 times what they want although they look like they shouldn't be anywhere near what they do charge.

Used to drag, roll, slide, whatever rounds or chunks so you don't have to pick them up. Get one and you will never be without it. I even built a 7' long one so I could unload my PU without ever having to climb up into the bed - there are pics of it in a recent thread on pickeroons.

Note the spelling "pickEroons" I found out the hard way that searching for "pickAroons" doesn't work.

Harry K

Found my pics:

006-12.jpg

004.jpg

8' closet pole (cut 7'), compression fitting (Dressler coupling) from the plumbing dept cross drilled for 1/2 bolt clearance, section of 1/2" 'all thread' rod.

Don't have a pick of my 'short' one from Bailey's

Harry K

I would consider the Logrite built pickaroon ( sold by site sponsor Bailey's ), to be the Cadillac of pickaroons. Well made aluminum handle, and what I believe to be a stainless steel "pick". It does not bend, break, or dull, least not in the couple of years I have used it. If the pick dulls, a roll pin holds it in place. Very nice, well worth the money. I no longer bend over to pick up wood... :D

Found my pics:

006-12.jpg

004.jpg

8' closet pole (cut 7'), compression fitting (Dressler coupling) from the plumbing dept cross drilled for 1/2 bolt clearance, section of 1/2" 'all thread' rod.

Don't have a pick of my 'short' one from Bailey's

Harry K
You Sir are a genuis, That's exactly what i need. Always have to get up in the truck and hand throw em off. Takin a trip to the hardware store TODAY. Thanks for the pics.

I would consider the Logrite built pickaroon ( sold by site sponsor Bailey's ), to be the Cadillac of pickaroons. Well made aluminum handle, and what I believe to be a stainless steel "pick". It does not bend, break, or dull, least not in the couple of years I have used it. If the pick dulls, a roll pin holds it in place. Very nice, well worth the money. I no longer bend over to pick up wood... :D

I have both the Logrite and Peavy Mfg. pickaroon's both from Bailey's. While I certainly admire the Logrite handle I prefer the Peavy model. Feels better in my hand and also "sticks" into a log better. The Logrite either needs more weight in the head or a different shaped tip. Sometimes I have to give a log 2-3 hits before it will stick while the Peavy model sticks every time. The Peavy model handle will start splintering after a while from the repeated impacts, and I wrapped it with 3-4" of electrical tape to slow that down.

I have a Stihl. Broke 1/8th inch off the tip, reground it and back in business. Would hate to be without it. For the big stuff find (flea markets, farm auctions) a pair of two handle ice tongs, and use your legs to lift instead of having to bend way over to get a grip.

I have both the Logrite and Peavy Mfg. pickaroon's both from Bailey's. While I certainly admire the Logrite handle I prefer the Peavy model. Feels better in my hand and also "sticks" into a log better. The Logrite either needs more weight in the head or a different shaped tip. Sometimes I have to give a log 2-3 hits before it will stick while the Peavy model sticks every time. The Peavy model handle will start splintering after a while from the repeated impacts, and I wrapped it with 3-4" of electrical tape to slow that down.

I do like wood handles as well, but all the ones I have tried in a pickaroon have splintered. I imagine it has something to do with the sharp impact or vibration...?

I just dump it. I don't think I would have the patience to use that for picking up wood. I mean it would seem very slow to me but maybe I am missing something. :dizzy:

We're not all as close to the ground as you are Rope.:sinister: Bending sucks.

We're not all as close to the ground as you are Rope.:sinister: Bending sucks.

Lmfao bending sucks for me too but time is what drives me. I can't see an already slow process getting slower. I usually load one arm full and then grab another piece each bend is bringing several stick to the truck.

True, it would be slower on small stuff but the tool is good for larger pieces. You can stick an lift a piece quicker than bending over, getting a good hold, standing up and tossing/placing it. With a little practice you can become quite handy at tossing/placing stuff and never touch it with a hand.

True, it would be slower on small stuff but the tool is good for larger pieces. You can stick an lift a piece quicker than bending over, getting a good hold, standing up and tossing/placing it. With a little practice you can become quite handy at tossing/placing stuff and never touch it with a hand.
Ok me want to see vid of production pickarooning:dunno:

Lmfao bending sucks for me too but time is what drives me. I can't see an already slow process getting slower. I usually load one arm full and then grab another piece each bend is bringing several stick to the truck.

If you are handling already 'split to use' size pieces I suspect you are correct. We are discussing using them on loading/unloading/splitting chunks and rounds. Do it with a pickeroon once and you will fight to the death before someone takes it away from you.

One of the nice things is using one to roll rounds from where they are over to where the truck is. Hook it, stand it up and chivvy it along with the tool. Beats the pee out of bending over rolling it along by hand and much faster also.

Harry K

You Sir are a genuis, That's exactly what i need. Always have to get up in the truck and hand throw em off. Takin a trip to the hardware store TODAY. Thanks for the pics.

After I built that someone said that "Peavey" has long handled ones. You might check there first.

Harry K

adding: Caution. Pulling rounds off the top of the stacks in the bed will beat up your bed badly. Mine was already pretty well trashed so I don't cringe too much at the "crash" as a heavy round hits :)

Harry K

Last edited:
After I built that someone said that "Peavey" has long handled ones. You might check there first.

Harry K

adding: Caution. Pulling rounds off the top of the stacks in the bed will beat up your bed badly. Mine was already pretty well trashed so I don't cringe too much at the "crash" as a heavy round hits :)

Harry K
Too late, I had a couple of the pieces already and bought another i hope will work. I have a long metal pole, It is fairly light. Might try and weld it on.

Latest posts

Back