Why not a cheap chainsaw bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rupedoggy

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I see chainsaw parts from China so cheap it makes we wonder how they do it. Carburetors for less than 10 bucks. Pistons and cylinders for less than $20. Plastics for the top and A/F very reasonable. Mufflers for around $10. But I do not see cheap chainsaw bars. Compaired to how hard it is to make a working carburetor a bar is a snap. Yet no cheap bars. Anybody????????

not sure about the bars but have you ever taken a look what the dollar converts into going to their money? they're making a killing in their economy.

Possibly several reasons. Bars are larger than carbs and shipping is more. Not as much as a market perhaps as major mfg lower end bars are pretty cheap. You can buy an Oregon bar with non replaceable nose and a loop of safety chain for under 30 bucks. Pretty hard to beat that. Baileys also has very reasonable bar deals often, got a bar from them for $22.

OK you guys I hear ya. !0 years ago I bought some 28 inch GB bars wholesale for $18. These were Austrailian I think. Now if they can do it for that price and ship clear over to the US then I am stumped. The Aussies can't possibly work as cheap as the Chinese.

what is a good source for GB bars in the US. You can PM the information if you like.

I think of 'cheap' bars as $20 for a 16" bar. Of course, I see entire chainsaws on sale at home centers sometimes for $30, including a bar and chain!

There is the quality of the steel, hardening of the rails, quality of the sprocket bearings, etc. to consider. Most people here on A.S. seem to notice the difference, even on basic, laminated bars. I want a low price on a good quality bar, not a cheap bar.

It has to be a challenge to make all of the different bar sizes and combinations. But there are someone common sizes.

Best 'deals' I have seen have been close outs at Bailey's, Left Coast Supplies, etc.

Philbert

Here a known chinese clone brand has a new 90cc saw with a chicom bar which believe it or not is a NE roller nose bar. So they are making bars, don't forget many name brands have bars out of china, mainly the sub 20" laminated homeowner styles. But l would'nt mind a new china roller nose for giggles.

one of the Chinese based wholesalers sent me an advert for 16, 18, 20, 22" Stihl ES bars at $20 each in qty of 1000 total or more
pretty sure it is a scam+
air shipping from China is around $7/pound
so for about $30K I think I could get 100o bar shaped objects with nicely stenciled logos (at least from the pic they sent)
Im sure the shipping by weight is cheaper going surface but so far my understanding is that you have to buy a seaworthy certified container, so it makes sense to buy enough merch to fill the container for its long slow voyage
I aint there yet for sure :)

I believe there are ChiCom bars already in the market labeled under Silver Streak, Stens, etc.
Much of the chinchong chain I have seen is garbage. Poor off the reel finishing, brittle, and chips when sharpening.
The silver streak bars are fine just avoid the cheap chain my 026 has a off brand bar and it is holding up fine.
I got a el cheapo poulan bar on my echo it has a GB bar now.
20151205_151748.jpg

$30 cannot be beaten, eh?
I saw 20" bars with a matching 3/8" chain selling for €22, shipping included.

An eBay seller here has a 50cc saw with 20" bar and 3/8" for €77.40, shipped. Given even Chinese pruning saws usually cost twice as much in a shop, one has to wonder if those things have a unit cost...
Still it appears he's having brisk business: eBay tells me "116 sold". :)

$30 cannot be beaten, eh? I saw 20" bars with a matching 3/8" chain selling for €22, shipping included.
You can buy an Oregon bar with non replaceable nose and a loop of safety chain for under 30 bucks. Pretty hard to beat that. Baileys also has very reasonable bar deals often, got a bar from them for $22.

There will always be closeout and overstock type sales on eBay, etc. And there will always be 'cheap' (as in poor quality) versus 'cheap' (as in low price) products offered for sale. Svk's post (above) references a local store that sells basic quality Oregon bar and chain sets at that price, any day of the week. Sometimes, they go on sale for less.

I bought some closeout bar and chain sets from Bailey's for $13, a few years back, just for the chains, then sold the bars on CL for $10 each. Everybody got a good deal! But it is not something to count on being there when needed.

Philbert

Back