why so much

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rydnruff

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
This may seem like a stupid question but i have to know. Why do chippers cost so much? I dont see how a 2009 F 350 Powerstroke loaded down with options or any of the big 3 can be less than a big bandit

i would also put it funny enough in teh same class as underwear. Its something you have to have for the most part so they can really charge what they want and know people will pay for it.

There are alot of considerations...industrial equipment is not built to be disposable, the engineering and material that go into it makes it more expensive, and since it is built to be repairable, there is parts support infrastructure to pay for, dealer networks...etc...alot of the costs are buil in when you get to talking about the Ford...plus, like it or not the truck is built to be obsolete sooner than the grinder, dozer, backhoe...whatever...

and sometimes you are paying for a name too....go price a new CAT backhoe..yikes...and compare that to a TEREX...

:dizzy:

I'm confused with the question.

You ask why does a chipper cost so much and compare it to a powerstroke, a Ford truck? Apples and oranges there.

One reason they cost as they do is because its something you will make money with using for many years to come. A truck will eventually need replacing, faster than most chippers, and in reality, how much money do you make with a truck? Yes, I know, the truck pulls the chipper and carrys the chips but with a truck alone, how much would you make? You can buy a cheap truck to do the same job but cheap on the chipper and you will limit yourself.

Compare costs of each and reson out the need of each. I went through this dilema earlier in the year, wondering if i should upgrade my chipper or buy a truck (used). The chipper is what puts me in the tree business, not the truck. I also bill out hourly on the chipper as opposed to the truck.

I don't know if that helps but try to reason it out by what will pay for itself, the truck or the chipper.:cheers:

There is some interesting economic theory going on here. Companies don't charge for a piece of equipment based on how much money will be made on it after production. If that were the case, the army would pay 100x what a consumer does for a pistol, knowing it will be used more. The 4 cup saucepan would be sold for 5x the price of the 10 cup pot because you use the 4 cup saucepan. Think about it, that's ridiculous.

Back to the question. The post mentioning quantity built is a good place to start, they don't stamp these things out like they do a car. Second, much like other pieces of heavy equipment, look at the build quality on a chipper, figure out what it takes just to make a cutter wheel? That's a lot of steel, alot of welding, and finishing. That's alot of money. The dealer network theory is correct too. Lots of things go into the price, these are just a few.

I spent about 25 grand for my Bandit 200xp back in 1997. Since then, (not counting belts and blades) I have spent less than $750 in parts on it, and that includes the radiator I had to buy when we rolled it.

Every single part on the engine, clutch, frame, chipper assembly, and feed chute is factory original. The only part that has ever "failed" rather than just worn out is the tachometer.

Sometimes you get what you pay for.

liability?

a lot thicker steel involved in the construction of a chipper.also the other posters have valid points as well.

There's also the production rating.

My guess is that Ford builds more trucks than Vemeer does chippers, and auto makers have huge automated assembly lines to increase production and therefore lower cost. Also, there's the purchasing power of being an auto maker. I am sure they get their steel/aluminum/plastic/whatever at a lower per unit cost that chipper manufacturers because of the huge volumes they buy.

All in all, I see your point though.

If your into bidding and want to pick up some cheap used trucks (F250s, 350s, 450s, 550s, Topkicks, Dumps, Utility bodies, the occasional bucket truck...) check out copart.com, my old man put me onto them, and they seem legit, basically the bidding starts at 150 bucks for most items, and they have alot of trucks that no one bids on... so theoretically, you might be able to pick up a truck real cheap.

I haven't used them, and don't work for them, so I can't personally vouch, but it may be worth investigating. In the mean time, buy a chipper :laugh:

thanks for all your opinions,they all make a good point. But now please answer me this right now i have a 6" vermeer that i have out grown but my wallet has not grown as fast these whisper chippers and chuck and duck say 12" cap. but i dont see a feed wheel and they look kind of different than anything else outhere. How do they work,will it take a decent sized log,do they have reverse and why are they so affordable compared to others. is this something that would help me out better than what i have know or should i stray.

Thanks again guys all your opinions help me out more than you probably think they do.

Brian

Consider how much the Manufacturer pays for liability insurance. The liability exposure is much larger for a chipper at low volume compared to a vehicle at large volume. To drive a vehicle legally you have to be a certain age, have a license and insurance. What do you need to operate a chipper legally?

thanks for all your opinions,they all make a good point. But now please answer me this right now i have a 6" vermeer that i have out grown but my wallet has not grown as fast these whisper chippers and chuck and duck say 12" cap. but i dont see a feed wheel and they look kind of different than anything else outhere. How do they work,will it take a decent sized log,do they have reverse and why are they so affordable compared to others. is this something that would help me out better than what i have know or should i stray.

Thanks again guys all your opinions help me out more than you probably think they do.

Brian

I had a chuck n duck chipper and started out working for Asplundh that still uses them today. They are simple, reliable, and cheap to work on. They can't really handle anything over 6" diameter unless it's a short log or something like that. If it can't handle it, it will just spit it back out. There is no reverse, nor a feed wheel. Just the power of the engine and momentum of the heavy drum chews up the limbs and branches. For a person starting out they are good if you have nothing to compare it with, because they will do the job quickly, cheap and easy to work on. However for a person coming from a self-feed, I think you'll hate it. When it grabs those branches, especially anything with thorns or prickly like a pin oak, it smacks the crap out of you. It's been a long time since I've run a Vermeer 625/635? but if memory serves me right, the chuck-n-duck won't chip too much bigger then the 6" Vermeer. If you Vermeer is running good, I'd keep it otherwise try trading it for a BC1000 or bigger or maybe one of the other brands. I don't have any experience with Mobarks, Bandits, or whatever else is out there. If you've come across a decent Asplundh chipper, take some different size branches and logs with you so you can see what it can and can't do and how it does it and see if it is what your looking for. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Back