Why was the Little Homelite XL such a beast?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should have enough spare parts from xl2 and little red xls to put my dads back together...just hate dícking with points
Put a NOVA chip in one of mine after the condenser failed just last month. Runs GREAT now. You should try it. There is no room under the case for the chip though - I mounted mine on outside of the case next to the on/off switch, out of the way of fingers. Looks good too.

XL2's Good small saw for a ATV/Jeep trail saw. Not really trustworthy in the deep backwoods. Need two or 3 for spare parts if you are going to use them often. and lots of the parts are not interchangeable due to several internal versions made over the years. (even gas tanks and gas/oil caps different for example and a little cork gasket for the caps now days are priced out of site. Have to be careful about parts/pieces or you can easily get more into one than they are worth. I've seen them little fellers start and run good with compression at 80 lbs area if all else is ok.
The EZ is a lot better saw and more trustworthy and not that much bigger.

But. but:
I stumbled onto a Poulan pleasant surprise awhile back. I posted on here asking questions about a Poulan S25CVA that was given to me, fuel lines rotted off and needed little bit of TLC but was not sure if it was even worth the effort mainly because I'm not a Poulan guy and even though I have some of the bigger ones that I've built using donor saws for parts/pieces and consider them good saws for experience repairing saws, loaners, etc, and was going to just lay the S25 back for maybe spare parts and was surprised how many on this site bragged on the S25 saw. (and they were right as usual ) I rebuilt the fuel system plus other minor stuff after the guys bragged on the saw and I re-searched it's past history and it's a really good trustworthy saw, in same class as a Homie EZ.
Was built back when Poulan made really good saws, built for the long haul.
With the carrying case it's my now go to ATV/Jeep trail saw.

I used an xl to cut our Christmas tree this year. I know it hadn't been ran in 25 years. It started with fresh gas, even though a fair amount went straight threw the exhaust and on my jeans when I cut the tree down. But it did the job. I had forgotten how loud it was. Put it back up for another few years.

I love these saws! I started off with 1 XL2 like in the pic above. Rebuilt the carb with new lines and duck bill valves. Put a new 14" bar and Stihl 3/8 Pico chisel and it really runs well. The XL2 is nice since it has the 2 triggers. The front one allows it to be run like a top handle and the rear like a ground saw. Very well balanced with a 14" setup.

I ran across a second a few years back and put them on the same shelf. Turns out the spawned and there are like 6 of them now. Crazy how nature finds a way.

I think both Jeremiah Johnson and I should have bought the Homies that we restored rather than hand them back to their owners with a bill. These vintage chain saws were built like tanks and designed to last. I should have added at least one of them to my collection. It was senseless not to do that and the owner hinted that he was short on cash.

I love these saws! I started off with 1 XL2 like in the pic above. Rebuilt the carb with new lines and duck bill valves. Put a new 14" bar and Stihl 3/8 Pico chisel and it really runs well. The XL2 is nice since it has the 2 triggers. The front one allows it to be run like a top handle and the rear like a ground saw. Very well balanced with a 14" setup.

I ran across a second a few years back and put them on the same shelf. Turns out the spawned and there are like 6 of them now. Crazy how nature finds a way.

Absolutely, great sauce built like a tank but weighed like a tank also.Magnesium case copper lines Practically indestructible. But they weighed so much at the end of the day you’re really tired

I grab them for $15-$20 all the time. As stated above the duck bills or someone tried and crossed the lines, now can't figure out why it smokes so bad.lol good little gems.

The SXL is still my all time favorite. i have a few of them and gobble them up when they pop up on the local adds if they have a reasonable price on them. I feel like I have to have it. CAD.:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back