• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy Widenose bars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if my price would make it worth it or not....I'll need about $30 shipped each...A couple bucks less if you take multiples for shipping savings. @fearofpavement

Is that for the replacement nose. I get the bar noses for $25 each shipped. Im more intrested bars for now. Thanks for the offer though!

Walnut trees that were bought standing. We get every inch of usable log if there's anything to gain. When the tree falls the butt is already rounded off and looking nice like the buyers want. When its done right no wood is pulled from any of the heart or the sap. They stack nice on the log trucks too.

Can you tell me more about this?
I am about to cut an elm and it is just about 8.5 feet from the ground to the top of the first crotch. I am hoping to cut it so that I get as much trunk below that as possible.
It is likely that the tree will be topped before I do that.
Looking for a way to maximize the length of slabs I will mill from it.
Thanks

Z
Can you tell me more about this?
I am about to cut an elm and it is just about 8.5 feet from the ground to the top of the first crotch. I am hoping to cut it so that I get as much trunk below that as possible.
It is likely that the tree will be topped before I do that.
Looking for a way to maximize the length of slabs I will mill from it.
Thanks

It sounds to me like the best way for you to cut that log off clean without getting pinched would be to cut a little over halfway and tape in a couple felling wedges and then cut until there's only about 2 inches of holding wood left on the back side. then if you take the felling wedges and your saw out. tap the wedges back in 6 inch or so from the back and just cut it from the back side. it'll probably stay standing there and you can knock it over with it rope and a pickup. you'll have your log

I'm sure there would be lots of different ways to do it and many guys would tell you to do it differently but if you don't cut trees every day and you're not super comfortable with that particular style of cutting I think the way that I told you is probably the very easiest way and safest

If the top is still in the tree then that changes things a bit. It's best to top it out first for saftey. Especially if there are houses/or buildings nearby.

Z
It sounds to me like the best way for you to cut that log off clean without getting pinched would be to cut a little over halfway and tape in a couple felling wedges and then cut until there's only about 2 inches of holding wood left on the back side. then if you take the felling wedges and your saw out. tap the wedges back in 6 inch or so from the back and just cut it from the back side. it'll probably stay standing there and you can knock it over with it rope and a pickup. you'll have your log

Thank you.

I had been thinking something similar, but what you describe is a bit better.

There is a second tree on the site that is similar size (36" wide at waist height) with crotch at about 8 feet. The trunk has a tilt/lean to one side but much of the mass of the trunk is still over the base due to the width of the trunk and lean being not that much. Can I is use the same method, with the last wood removed being the trunk opposite the direction of the lean/ or is there a better way? It is leaning enough it will fall over once cut, but I don't think there will be any tension in the trunk once it is topped, just slow heavy mass.

Same method should work great. Just remember to start your cuting on the side that the log wants to fall toward and finish cutting on the opposite side. That way you're less likley to get any surprises.
Have fun and be safe!

Same method should work great. Just remember to start your cuting on the side that the log wants to fall toward and finish cutting on the opposite side. That way you're less likley to get any surprises.
Have fun and be safe!

Thank you :)
I appreciate your advice.

Back