Wife got me a saw.....at a yard sale

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morewood

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
A couple of months ago my wife was out perusing the yard sales...called about a saw, didn't give alot of info, then when she gets home later she and my son give me my new-to-me saw. A Stihl 310. I know most could care less about these saws, but if it cuts:rock: I finally checked some things out yesterday.....yeah, it was abused. It has a spur gear that looks like it has been chewed on. Some fiber material in and around the clutch?!?! I pulled the muffler (tiny exhaust holes) and checked it out. Didn't look to bad, nothing major that I noticed. I pulled the plug and checked compression----115-120. I assume this is low:(. I would like to get the saw running, well, because my wife bought it and it would be another cutter in the stable. I'll probably send this one out to be massaged, if it's going to be ugly, it might as well be junk yard mean too:msp_biggrin: So the questions, do all of this series of saws run 3-8? What should compression be new/used?

Shea

A couple of months ago my wife was out perusing the yard sales...called about a saw, didn't give alot of info, then when she gets home later she and my son give me my new-to-me saw. A Stihl 310. I know most could care less about these saws, but if it cuts:rock: I finally checked some things out yesterday.....yeah, it was abused. It has a spur gear that looks like it has been chewed on. Some fiber material in and around the clutch?!?! I pulled the muffler (tiny exhaust holes) and checked it out. Didn't look to bad, nothing major that I noticed. I pulled the plug and checked compression----115-120. I assume this is low:(. I would like to get the saw running, well, because my wife bought it and it would be another cutter in the stable. I'll probably send this one out to be massaged, if it's going to be ugly, it might as well be junk yard mean too:msp_biggrin: So the questions, do all of this series of saws run 3-8? What should compression be new/used?

Shea

You need to pull the cylinder (4bolts threw bottom) to see the entire cylinder inside. You'll need to do this anyhow since you'll need a minimum of new rings. 47mm x1.2mm if I'm not mistaken. If you have any scoring you'll need to clean it with acid and install new piston and rings. If you're in this far I would do some preventative maintence and replace impulse and fuel lines, and also the oil seals. All of this can be had at Chainsaw Parts for about the best prices you'll find plus super quick shipping.

If you want to make more power with an easy upgrade find a old Titon 50 chainsaw and use its 47mm piston and add new rings!

The fiber material by clutch is probably the clutch bearing eating itself from hard use. I highly suggest getting a rim style clutch and new bearing. 3/8 20in bar seems to be the going standard for this saw.

Pop some holes in the muffler, pull the limiter caps, and retune carb.

PS: we'll need/want to see pics and know what ur wife gave for it!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back