will a 6' chipper work for starting up?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought my Woodchuck used from another tree service. They had purchased it new from the dealer.
The driveshaft the drum is mounted on had snapped one day (like 3" dia) and the dealer had done the repair. It was interesting to talk to the dealer at a later date about this, as they said the only way a shaft would snap is if something other than wood (ie. a pipe wrench) had gotten eaten. I dunno. I think that repair bill soured the previous owner somewhat. He also gave me an extra governor (broken) Told me it was around $1000.00
He wasn't lying. Did a job once for a fellow, and at the end of the job there was oil and governor parts on his paved driveway. Governor flywheel weights had taken out a chunk out of the casting. Must have been desperate to escape.

I also lived in fear everytime I used the brute or towed it somewhere far away. When I bought the Woodchuck from Hell, I had an old Dodge Dakota, and had driven down to Trenton ON to pick it up. The damn oxy sensor on the truck was kaput, and the truck was just sucking gas like a kid gulping down a milkshake on a hot day. Anyway, I ran out of gas on the 401, and ended up having to drain gas out of the chipper into a coffee cup to put into the Dakota to make it to the next service station. My kid who was about 8 at the time still remembers that day. It was memorable. Oh the joy.

I just bought a 4 1/2 Salsco chipper today, I have a morbark 200 but my one ton is in the shop and my uncle has got my morbark deep out on his new lot which is covered in snow. So I wasn't dying to get a chipper but the price was too good I couldn't refuse even when it needs a carb cleaning. A 2009 Salsco review will soon tell us if the tiny chipper is worth it or I'll sell it to a golf course in May.

Latest posts

Back