Will creosote form from wood wet with snow and ice?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thombat4

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
A tarp blew off one of my piles and some oak was exposed to the elements long enough for some of it to be covered in spots with a bit of ice and some snow. It burns nice as long as I throw it on a bed of hot coals but do I need to be concerned with the moisture being burned off in the insert causing a buildup of creosote? Some of the wood is actually frozen. Just wonderin'...thanks
Bryan

Last edited:
Doubtful, surface moisture is NOTHING compared to internal moisture as far as how much moisture is going to have to be dealt with during the burn.. As far as frozen or surface wet wood, we bring in a days worth and let it sit inside for a day or so before loading into the stove, dries, and thaws any ice or snow. I honestly don't tarp my piles. Ever.

Last edited:
Water is water it doesn't matter where it comes from. You lose energy because it has to be boiled away and as it condenses in the chimney it does contribute to increased creosote build up.

Water is water, but there is really very little actual moisture in snow. We just had 19 inches here and the meteorologists said the rain equivalent was 1.25 in. So the small amount of snow on your wood is minimal really.

just let it sit next to stove for a day and you will be fine

+1 on this note..

on the moisture in snow note, +1..just think about how alotta ppl get dry, itchy skin..its due to a lack of moisture N such. Yes some is prolly wind chapped, but think..windy summer days ya dont get it..just wintery days...my wood gets surface snow too, i let it dry, and toss it in the stove..all is well..

!!BURN ON!!

when i bring my wood in before a storm/cold it sometimes has snow on it .... while i do this to get ahead of the storm/cold to have dry wood ready to burn, all i do is put the dehumidifier on high an let it run over night till wood is dry on the outside again! the wood box is about 5 feet from the stove an with the dehum. anheat from the stove its not long before warmer nights... as said before any moisture going up the stack will add to creosote build up!

Chucker, You actually run a dehumidifier in winter? ?

Just checking to be sure that is what you said.??

yes !! i run a dehum. to help keep the moisture down when drying ice and snow from wood that was out in the open elements of winter...
but as a norm ? no as the meter usually reads 30% in the furthest room from the wood stove. otherwise we also incorperate a 3# can of water on top of the stove to regulate the hum.... i have a lung condition that needs a lower hum. so for myself 10% would suit me just fine!

Latest posts

Back