Will Dolmar 421 pull .325

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fatherwheels

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a Makita EA4300, came with a 15 inch by 1.3mm
.325 bar and chain.
Am just wondering if this is too much chain to pull for such a small
saw. The chain is Oregon 95-vp.

I have a choice, depending on what users of this saw are using,
buy a 13 inch .325 bar and chain, and keep my clutch drum, if the engine
would pull it well,
or sell the saw and get another in 3/8 Low pro, which I would rather avoid doing.

What do you all suggest.

It will quite happily. Remove the cat and get some more gains

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I take it you're unhappy with the performance?
Never even started the saw yet, it was ordered with a 3/8 low pro chain,
it came with a .325 setup.
It’s NOS, 2012 saw, got it real cheap, if they are all sold there won’t be anything to exchange it for,
that’s why am looking at other options.
I have a .43 bar, but it’s really too light, Chain would be cheap, but clutch drum won’t.
But if others are getting on good with .325 then I might get a shorter bar and chain
as long as it would not be too much for the saw.

It will quite happily. Remove the cat and get some more gains

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Not even run the saw yet, it’s 2012 NOS, maybe there is no cat in it,
that would be a nice surprise, anyone know when they started putting
the cat in this model.

Not even run the saw yet, it’s 2012 NOS, maybe there is no cat in it,
that would be a nice surprise, anyone know when they started putting
the cat in this model.
They all had cats. Super easy to remove just gring out the spot welds.

.325" should work OK, but 3/8" lp is a sweet spot for the saw. I'd run it and see how you like it before you make a judgment. I didn't I know these saws ever came set up with .325

They all had cats. Super easy to remove just gring out the spot welds.

.325" should work OK, but 3/8" lp is a sweet spot for the saw. I'd run it and see how you like it before you make a judgment. I didn't I know these saws ever came set up with .325
I am going to see what the seller has to say in regard to swapping it for the one I ordered.
I think Low Pro 91-vxl would be taxing enough for 42 cc ‘s.

I’ve had 325 on one and it did just fine
What length bar were you using, maybe you remember what chain it was, My bar looks wide, but the chain they sent out seems like narrow kerf, I never used this 95-vp chain before, is it narrow kerf chain.

I'd NEVER return a good new saw at a good price over what chain setup it came with. This saw will outlive many bars & chain & sprockets so why don't you see how it cuts then order another bar/chain/sprocket in LP. .325 is smooth and durable compared to Picco, for me speed isn't everything, but its definitely important, and small saws needs all the help they can get. Nothing wrong with having a spare bar giving you options. Options are good as wood is not a constant.

Vendor recommends for this saw b&c .325, 1.3 mm, 13-18". Your setup is just fine.
Thanks pavel408
I contacted the seller, if instead of posting the saw back and new one out they will
credit my account, then I will get a 13 inch bar and chain in .325 , that should
ease the burden on the engine, two inches top and bottom less weight,
and a little less drag.
Will see how they respond.

Latest posts

Back