Will It HELP??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blizzard

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi. I just had a question about a wood burning insert. We already have a country insert on the main level on our house and it does a fairly good job of heating our house. 35 and above the furnace usually stays off, but colder than that it will kick on from time to time. We were thinking of putting another insert in the basement directly below where the one we have now is (same chimney). Would this make a difference heat wise? We really don't go down there too much so the question is if having one down there would help heat the upstairs or not? Opinions would be appreciated!

A second source of heat would help but I wouldnt tie it into the same chimney as another wood burner.

All the litereature I have seen warns against this but doesnt say why.

My best educated guess is when only one is burning carbon monoxide will "pool" in the cooler area of the stack. If there is another opening some of the gasses will cool in the inlet pipe. These gasses will accumulate in the basement or living area and slowly fill it with poisonous gasses.

This might not be the case during a really hot burn that keeps the stack temperatures high and a constant draft going up. But before the temps are high enough to keep the entire column cleared or when shutting things down for a slow burn the amount of CO infiltration will be significantly increased.

I wouldnt do it without a separate chimney for the second source of heat..

Last edited:
i guess I may have worded that a little wrong. It is overall the same chimney on the roof but it has separate areas. so the two 6 inch stainless steel pipes would be going up different flues. I should have clarified that.

Separate flues in the same chimney shouldnt be any problem. Not much chance of CO infiltration there.

A stove in the basement will make for warm floors.

one more thing before you buy--check with your homeowners insurance about having two wood burners. I know mine won't allow it

Basically, yes it will help.

Heat rises and with a setup like mine where I only have a stove downstairs it works pretty good. My baseme is curntly unfinished so I loose a lot of heat through the block walls, but I still get 75-80% of my heat frome one stove, its a big one, but it is only one.

Now when I insulate my walls in the basement I should not only realise better heat, but Ill probably use 25% less wood each year. Im also planning a good plenum system with a blower and timer to keep the up/down temps in line, otherwise the downstairs would get way hot.

And as mentioned, My floors are very toasty.:clap:

I have the exact same situation as Raised. A second burner in the basement will help the floors warm up. And you may not need to run the upstairs fireplace as hard because warmer floors seem to give the illusion that the room is warmer.

Raised--I used 6" duct from menards with a 250 cuft/min booster fan. Draws a lot of air from downstairs to upstairs. My run is about 25' long. Where I had to go through an area that I don't heat directly, I used 6" flexible insulated duct.

with our insert the only fan we have is the one that is attached to it. Is there another better way to distribute the heat so the whole house stays warm? (I am now a member!Woo)

Throgh the wall fan

My insert is 100 ft.from the end of my bedroom.I installed an 9" through the wall fan,and ran a line voltage t-stat for an A/C.This shuts the fan off in the middle of the nite on temp fall.I have also used a box fan hanging from the fireplace room on the colder nites,and it makes a world of difference.I dont remember the site i found the fan,just do a quick search and you wont be sorry.Suxs that air off the ceiling and down the hall .....pronto

Back