Will this work, first time with this issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treecutr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have this tree thats got the split you see in photos. In the other photo, all of the stuff to the right is on the right section. The HO CANNOT afford to remmove the whole tree. Everything on the left of the split is healthy and looks great. The tree has already lost 2 large branches that have gone through the roof on 2 seperate occasions, so they want anything that will hit house gone, which happens to be everything on the right side. My thought is to remove the right side to just above the crotch at split, in hope of preventing the split from getting worse, and to leave the healthy portion of the tree as is. will this work, even if as a temporary solution until they can have whole tree removed( which may be a few years off ) Hope pics are good enough to help you in any advice. I've never had a tree with a split in it, except in complete removals. Simply hoping to save him money buy trimming, versus removal.

View attachment 127766

View attachment 127767

The pics are not good enough for me to get a good idea of all that is involved but it does not sound good at any rate.

a good thinning and cabling job will help but that tight v is never a good thing. As the tree grows it will push itself apart. they also tend to hold moisture causing rot. I can't make a good call from the pictures but it does look like a silver maple (another downfall)

My thought was some cabling as well, but a good portion of the section that i was discussing for removal is dead, about half of upper tree is losing it's bark, and drops branches in every wind storm. I figured that by removing that side down to where the tight V is, where it's pushing apart, will resolve the issues, as that is the only part of tree that can hit house if tree falls in the future. i have seen this basic thing done several times by some of the other tree companies, one fairly recently, which is what got me thinking on it. the HO is going to do this trimming no matter what, as they feel that right now it gives them what they need until they can afford to remove the whole tree. I just want to be able to tell them the pros and cons of it.

They may not afford the complete removement but they should think about the safety of their house too. That could cost more then a removal not mentioning the danger of someone getting hurt.

The images are not too good - that's true but as treebilly said a tight v angle is never good and it will get worse with time.

Te bottom line is that if you want to tell them the pros and cons, tell them that complete removal is good for safety reasons and triming or cabling the tree is the less expensive but dangerous decision.

Seattle, Thats the other part of the issue. I mentioned seeing if insurance company maybe covering removal. after the first time a large section went through the roof, they filed as claim, as the damage was fairly extensive and costly. The insurance company cancelled their policy soon after completing claim. They were forced to take state insurance because in, MA anyways, if you get cancelled, no insurance company will take you until you have 2 years without a claim on the state policy. So on the second occasion of tree damage to house, they did it themselves. Now they fear if the remainder of that side of tree cmes down, it will be far more than they can afford. Removing stuff that will hit house, will solve issue. Once thats removed, anything else falling from tree absolutley will not hit house. The guy is a great supporter of the Veterans Group i'm involved with, so I'm really trying to help him as best I can.

If the guy is truly a great guy and just down and out, if it were me I (can't tell if it is possible by the pictures) would fall the tree, give the guy a 30 minute lesson on running a saw and tell him to go to Lowes/Depot/Sears and buy a saw and cut and clean it up himself. It'll come back to you in the long run through word of mouth advertising. It the ying and yang thing.
Sometimes doing the right thing isn't all about the money, I've give several face cords of wood away this year to those that are really down and out, and we've already reaped rewards off doing it.

I had a big ol Silver Maple that was splitting lik that. The crack would open up almost a foot in the wind. I cheated and used a 50 ton crane to take it down. We only took it down to a 10' stub. The HO wants to take the stub down this spring, so I'm gonna test my mill out on it, Joe.
crazysummer08129.jpg

crazysummer08131.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back