Willow.....Any good?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windwalker7

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Got an OWB coming in a couple weeks. In the mean time, I've been stocking up on firewood.

Got a guy at work that just cut down a huge willow tree and wants someone to just get rid of it. Another coworker told me that don't bother with willow. Said it doesn't burn very well no matter how long it sits.

Being sorta new to all this, what are you guys thought about willow?

Do I get it or forget it?

Got an OWB coming in a couple weeks. In the mean time, I've been stocking up on firewood.

Got a guy at work that just cut down a huge willow tree and wants someone to just get rid of it. Another coworker told me that don't bother with willow. Said it doesn't burn very well no matter how long it sits.

Being sorta new to all this, what are you guys thought about willow?

Do I get it or forget it?

You will soon be visited by a man known here as "Turnkey" also known as Harry K.-he is THE authority on Willow, although a few months ago he scored some Black Locust, but he is the MAN when it comes to talkin' about Willow!!

:greenchainsaw:

Willow hmmmmmm

I cut it into 4 to 6" thick it needs to be off the ground and kept dry or it will quickly mold and turn to useless dry rot.

I was able to get a couple of black willows this year and prefer to burn them in the fire pit, I use them for kindling. if you have ever burned poplar, expect less.

Spring and fall wood only

You will be ok with a OWB. Willow is very wet wood and I would split it as soon as you can so it can dry out. When it is dry it will be as light as a feather. :( Lots of work for not much heat.

Willow + OWB = Alot of quality time spent outdoors with your OWB. On the plus side, you'll be able to admire your fire quite a bit because you'll always be shoving the next piece in.

Willow is 'gofer' wood but I have heated the house for almost 30 years with it. Not bad in an airtight stove. Dunno how it would do in an OWB.

Expect to burn about 2x (at least) over decent wood.

Someone mentioned locust. I am chasing a new plot. Biggest, tallest locusts I have ever seen and at least 2 dozen of them, some of them will go 2 cord or better per. I don't have much hope but am going to give it a shot.

Harry K

I burn some willow along w/ cottonwood and sassafras in the early fall and late spring in my OWB. Does the job when not alot of heat is needed.

You will be ok with a OWB. Willow is very wet wood and I would split it as soon as you can so it can dry out. When it is dry it will be as light as a feather. :( Lots of work for not much heat.

I burned a black willow that I got free for firewood. It was a lot of work for so few btu's. I would advise you to burn it if you have the time to process it. Just mix it in with some hardwood.

Biggest, tallest locusts I have ever seen and at least 2 dozen of them, some of them will go 2 cord or better per.

Harry K

Black locust? 2cords per? Someone's 'optomistic'!

Willow: not worth the work unles thats all you got.:cheers:

Someone mentioned locust. I am chasing a new plot. Biggest, tallest locusts I have ever seen and at least 2 dozen of them, some of them will go 2 cord or better per. I don't have much hope but am going to give it a shot.

Harry K

Harry, Go Get That Locust! :clap:
Bring every tool that you've got to bring in that mother lode. I wish I was there to help.

Well this is weird. One of the guys that drops off wood at my house just dropped off two big willow logs. Should give the 441 a good chance to stretch It's legs. :chainsaw: :chainsaw:

I am back out there again tomorrow and will get some shots. These things remind me of standing next to very mature Ponderosa Pines. Neveer seen any like them. A guy in town is claiming he got over 3 cord out of one locust. I figued BS until I saw these.

Always a possible that I have them mis id'ed though.

Harry K

Harry, Is this one of the giants you mentioned ?
east.jpg

That is a bit of a monster.

I always thought willow and Cottonwood were about equal for heat.

Latest posts

Back