Willow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longbowch

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
With all this rain we've been having I had a willow go down in my pasture. How bad is it for firewood? I had to cut it up anyway.

I'm cutting a bunch of poplar in the bush behind me and there are lots of willow there so it's going to be cut down too. I have an OWB so the plan is to cut it down, cut to 4' long and split it small and get it under cover but where wind can get at it. I've burnt a bunch of it before and seeing as my owb is way over sized I don't think it'll be a problem. That and my wife feeds the stove anyway so doesn't matter if she has to do it more often.

Willow is fantastic to make charcoal out of , great heat very little or no gas so is great for forge welding very clean heat little or no slag willow is a great tool, good handles for hammers and alike good to weave baskets chairs whatever , Its a natural form of asprin so good for crook horses and other animals , make CRICKET BATS ;O)) The only thing I don't like about willow was my mum used to flog us with willow switches when we played up ;o((

Willow is fantastic to make charcoal out of , great heat very little or no gas so is great for forge welding very clean heat little or no slag willow is a great tool, good handles for hammers and alike good to weave baskets chairs whatever , Its a natural form of asprin so good for crook horses and other animals , make CRICKET BATS ;O)) The only thing I don't like about willow was my mum used to flog us with willow switches when we played up ;o((

Also a preferred wood for smoking meat or barbecue

Harry K

Another willow went down with the saturated ground. Now I have enough I'll have to try it for firewood.
e5ejaseb.jpg
yvevatez.jpg

longbowch,

If you live down south it's fast burning wood that will keep the house warm.
Also makes real nice kindle , shoulder wood and wonderful campfires.
If your up north shoulder wood, kindle or campfires are best uses or plan to stay up and feed the fireplace all night as it gets cold.

In my area willows that fall and are put up as free firewood tend to stay with the sign for a while.
Many different hardwoods here so softwood and a low btu softwood as willow is would be a last pick.

Another willow went down with the saturated ground. Now I have enough I'll have to try it for firewood.

Nice tree and not too bad for brush. The ones around here run about 2 cord brush to each cord of wood or worse. I have felled more than one around 36" DBH that I couldn't see more than the first 8-10' of the base log once it was down.

I have around 80 cord of BlackLocust so I don't really need more wood. I am cutting Willow anyhow for the exercise. I'm mixing it in at about 50/50 with BL as I stock my porch and woodshed this year.

Harry K

Latest posts

Back