Willow?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rburg44

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Didnt really have the long "droopy" vines but leafs sure look like it! What ya think?

Yes Willow. It is a 'good' firewood if you overlook its light weight (feed the fire more often). Burns good, works up very easily (except for the huge size of them), cures out in one summer after split/stack. I sell it $120/cord but out here "good" firewood is rare to nonexistent. Even what is considered quality wood is tamarack and fir.

Harry K

Weeping willow I think.

It's ok firewood, pretty low on the btu values but then again early spring and early fall it's ideal to take the chill off the house.

Willow here usually = dangerous tree to take down.
I try to avoid cutting them since willows tend to have very big side branches with little strength in them so getting cuts to do what you want can be a hit and miss adventure..

Yes Willow. It is a 'good' firewood if you overlook its light weight (feed the fire more often). Burns good, works up very easily (except for the huge size of them), cures out in one summer after split/stack. I sell it $120/cord but out here "good" firewood is rare to nonexistent. Even what is considered quality wood is tamarack and fir.

Harry K
Willow is junk wood , might heat your home if you had nothing else. Not fun to cut, stinks also. I would rather burn pine, tamarack or red for.

Also grows wherever there is underground water. I'm cutting in a cedar bush now and there is a creek nearby but the willows are growing several 100 feet away. Some of them are so big they are falling over. The stump holes are full of water. I usually only cut them if they are in the way. Get tired of them growing back up again on the log pile.

Willow is junk wood , might heat your home if you had nothing else. Not fun to cut, stinks also. I would rather burn pine, tamarack or red for.

So I take it that you have never cut any yourself or known anyone who has. Everything you posted is false except one. Stink. I have been cutting and burning it since 1976 6-8 cord year plus selling up to 8 cord/yr. I cut ONE willow that smelled when I cut it. It did not smell after it dried or when burned. It is also a pleasure to cut/split except for the amount of brush to handle.

Nothing like repeating old wives tales, eh?

Harry K

So I take it that you have never cut any yourself or known anyone who has. Everything you posted is false except one. Stink. I have been cutting and burning it since 1976 6-8 cord year plus selling up to 8 cord/yr. I cut ONE willow that smelled when I cut it. It did not smell after it dried or when burned. It is also a pleasure to cut/split except for the amount of brush to handle.

Harry K

I'd say it's a regional thing. I've burned it and don't much care for it. Willow, Silver Maple, Tulip Poplar...if they fall and are in my way, I will cut it up and burn. Otherwise, I stick with the nut tees, fruit trees, Locust, Ash, Elm, etc..

I'd say it's a regional thing. I've burned it and don't much care for it. Willow, Silver Maple, Tulip Poplar...if they fall and are in my way, I will cut it up and burn. Otherwise, I stick with the nut tees, fruit trees, Locust, Ash, Elm, etc..

It's most definitely a regional thing..Willow in my part of the country is junk wood, you can't even give it away on Craigslist.

It's most definitely a regional thing..Willow in my part of the country is junk wood, you can't even give it away on Craigslist.
Hmmm, might be a cheap input for an entrepreneurial packaged kindling maker if there's a market for such up there.

Kiwi, that is my plan for all the poplar I have and can get. I have to do something with it as it was part of the deal to get the ash wood. Have to build an attachment for my splitter to split smaller and build another wood bundler to cut time down. When dry the poplar is great for kindling and also real good when you want a quick hot fire and one that dies down quickly when you are done with it.

I was told by a wood turner that it is great for turning. Second to bass wood he said. I dabbled on the lathe in high school but that's as far as I got. I gave the guy a couple rounds of a large tree that blew down at my moms. Can't give it away as firewood tho. Even friends who I now split a rental house with will not burn it, but paying for heat is not my responsibility.

this HTML class. Value is http://en.m.wikipedi

Not sure if that works, for some reason cut/paste links does the above on this board?

Anyone it's a link to diamond willow. We find a fair amount of it and the tourists/wood carvers love the stuff.

I ended up with between 1 and 2 cords of willow last year. It's still piled up in 8 ft lengths behind the barn. A friend who gives me wood sometimes was clearing a ditch. If I refused it I was afraid he wouldn't offer me the good stuff when that was available. A guy I work with wanted to buy some campfire wood from me, so I told him if he helped me cut and split it some Saturday, he could have a truckload. As my supply of wood gets bigger, I would rather use all the time cutting, splitting, stacking, moving, and firing up, on higher quality wood. I started out burning whatever I could get, but good quality wood burns hotter, longer and makes less ash. Last week my wood supplier friend dropped off 2 large trailer loads of ash, hickory, and cherry.

Harry K

Same here when I can get it. I did harvest around 80 cords of Black Locustwhen the locust borer moved in.

Willow makes good shoulder season and for a quick fire to warm up the house in the morning. I use it to mix in with the B.L. all winter long.

Harry K

Latest posts

Back