Winch on a garden tractor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erik B

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have seen many pics of a winch on an ATV on this site. Has anyone put a winch on a garden tractor to assist dragging logs to an area one could cut it up?
Erik B

My 86 year old grandfather put a small hydraulic winch on his 4000-series Cub Cadet for such a purpose. He used the front plow frame as a mount and the tractor's hydraulics.

He did the same thing to an antique Speedex about twenty years back, used a power steering pump from a truck for the hydraulic system.

Tire chains and weight on the rear helps. Plowed a pretty long driveway one winter with wheel weights, chains and a rear mounted weight box. Worked pretty damn good. I was pleasantly surprised at the snow it would push. Should work in reverse, pulling a load.

I have a WheelHorse Hi/lo range 16hp that I get my wood out with. Took the rear end apart and moved the pins inside around turning it into a posi. Has weight inside and out on the front tires along with more weight under the hood near the engine. The rear is weighted at the wheels along with bar bell weights stacked up at the hitch. Then I mounted a winch,but use it to pull the loaded trailer up to my path when needed.
Amazing where this machine will go,the land is very hilly so it does have it's limits. Forgot,put ATV tires on the rear and snowblower tires on the front.

I use an old Sears lawn tractor to haul firewood out'a the woodlot... and installed a winch on the front.
Loaded the rear tires with calcium chloride solution, wheel weights and chains... I can fill that old GI army trailer heaping full and walk it right out. Occasionally I'll have that trailer plumb full and hit a patch of deeper snow/mud... and that's when the winch is real darn handy. Rather than haf'ta unload or unhook the trailer, I just use the winch to drag the whole mess on through... heck, it'll drag the frame of both on through.

As far as using the winch to drag logs, pull over trees, snags and whatnot... if the "pull" is real heavy I haf'ta chain the rear of the tractor to a tree or the winch drags the tractor to the load, rather than the load to the tractor.

WH1.JPG WH2.JPG Wh3.JPG Wh4.JPG WH5.JPG WH6.JPG

Most of my woods are on hillsides so getting my garden tractor close enough to drag anything is difficult at best. I do use a rope and choker, but I have to run the rope thru a pulley attached to a tree to get me to where I have enough room to pull the log. It would be nice to have the tractor stationary to do the pulling. I do have wheel weights on the tractor.
Erik B

A winch on your garden tractor would be great to pull yourself out of a jam. More than once I've gotten mired down pulling a cartload of rounds and had to rescue it with the comealong.

For dragging logs, you'd need to stabilize the tractor so that it pulls the log, not the other way around. GTs don't have a lot of weight or braking... you'd pretty much have to chain it to a tree to winch a log along the ground.

I've been hauling out of the woodlot with an '02 Murray Widebody GT for a couple years. Outfitted it with wheel weights and AG tires for woodlot duty. Put a set of 3-rib AGs on the front for better handing. There's not much that will stop it on dry ground.

It pulls smallish logs - 8", maybe 25' in length. Anything bigger than that and it just turns the tires. I'd considered mounting a winch on it but nixed the idea. The GT doesn't have sufficient weight or braking to winch a log.

woodhauler08-jpg.369952

Hey Spidey, whats that AC unit doing in the window with snow on the ground ?:eek:

Hey Spidey, whats that AC unit doing in the window with snow on the ground ?
Last time I posted that picture I was asked the same thing.
The lower of that window has been removed and framed in... the A/C unit is pretty much a permanent installation (kind'a like a through-wall installation).

Latest posts

Back