Winch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you talking about a winch for you're truck, tractor, a dozer, chain saw or atv??? be more specfic.

Is this going to be mounted on the front or on the deck of a truck ?

If you are going to mount the winch on the deck of a flatdeck I would suggest a old PTO operated Garwood or Braden we have had them on the decks of our 1 ton trucks they pull hard and strong.

For a front bumper mount I would have to say Warn aswell they seem to be been around the longest I would probably say Ramsey Winch is good aswell.

I did a lot of research and looking a little while ago, but ended up not buying a winch so maybe you can glean something from the time I put in looking.
If you are looking for a winch that you can use once in a while to pull a log or two or get yourself unstuck, a warn electric is a pretty good bet. If you are looking to do some serious pulling, over extended periods of time, get a PTO or hydraulic.
I was personally set on the Mile marker hydraulic winch that runs off the power steering pump.
Electric winches put a huge drain on your battery and electrical systems, often drawing over 400 amps. You can’t run them very long without overheating. The military recently switched over from the Warn Electric to Mile Marker. I talked with a guy at the local 4 wheel drive shop who sells both and he said that in his mind, it is no contest, the mile marker 8000 lb will out pull and outlast the Warn 10,000 lb. There are a couple of threads over on the forestry forum that have discussed this as well.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong

Originally posted by Oregon_Rob
If you are looking to do some serious pulling, over extended periods of time, get a PTO or hydraulic.

Electric winches put a huge drain on your battery and electrical systems, often drawing over 400 amps. You can’t run them very long without overheating. . . .

Just my opinion, I could be wrong

You are right. There is no way an electric winch can outwork a hydraulic. The winch on my chipper will pull all day. A friend with
an elec. on his truck wiped out his battery, even with the truck
engine running, after winching only 5 logs a distance of only 30 ft. each.

A hydraulic winch is good when the truck is running if your engine has crapped out and your sliding down a hill. If I was going to run a milemarker winch it would run off of a PTO and hydraulic pump. The problem with running a winch off of your P/S pump is you will burn it out they are not designed for winches. If you have hydroboost brake you loose your P/S pump you loose your steering and brakes :eek:

I'am not a big beleiver in electric winches either they do kill your batteries and over work the charging system. A electric winch on a truck is not meant for skidding logs its for getting a person unstuck for short distances.

As I meantioned before we used to winch derilict cars onto our flatdecks when we were in the scrap business. With the PTO operated 8000lb garwood it would drag the truck backwards or the car would tear apart. A 8000lb garwood would out pull a warn or any of the other electric winches we used to run 1/2 wire rope.

Back