Wind Chill question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put a bottle of water outside, in below freezing temperatures, with a strong wind (and 'wind chill ratings'), and anther inside an unheated car or garage at the same temps.

Then stand out there and watch which freezes first - you or one of the bottles!

Philbert

a bottle inside at 34F and a bottle outside at 34F with a 20F "wind chill" won't freeze at all
Put a bottle of water outside, in below freezing temperatures, . . .

not related to the OP question.
Absolutely related. He asked about the speed of heat loss, not 'feelings'.

If you start with bottles of water at 70°F, and place them at 34°F, as in your quote, they will still cool down to at different rates.

Philbert

not related to the OP question. The house is already exposed to the given outside temperature.

just like a bottle inside at 34F and a bottle outside at 34F with a 20F "wind chill" won't freeze at all

I guess I'm spoiled with a "tight" house in that wind chill has no effect on heating, rather the actual outside temperature.
Not looking to add to the fight but just another way to look at heat loss through "wind chill"
This is not entirely true either. yes at the temperatures you mentioned it will not freeze. add in faster moving wind and maybe a little moisture and you can easily freeze things even though the temp is above freezing. only couple of examples i can readily think of are a tractor carburetor icing up on a 40 degree day or letting the air out of a tire by pulling the valve stem core (Schrader valve). both of these will frost up due to heat loss through evaporation and airflow despite the ambient air temps being above freezing. Just food for thought. the same heat loss principals apply to all things whether they have feeling nerves or not

I guess I'm spoiled with a "tight" house in that wind chill has no effect on heating, rather the actual outside temperature.

I’m not sure if you’re deliberately trolling here or what but I’m tired. Congratulations on having a house that defies physics.

Back