wind damage to birch tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
commanche 2

commanche 2

ArboristSite Lurker
hello, i planted triple jacqumomtal birch 2 years ago.the wind bro off 2 of the main leaders about 4 ft up from ground.i have 2 others and wind did not do any damage.all were planted at same time. my question is ,do i go and buy another one and dig this back out and move it where it is less seen.i have these as show trees and would like to see them grow up with nice leaders.i cant figure why this one bro off and 2 other birch planted same time are ok.they are about 8 ft high on others .thanks :eek:

commanche 2

commanche 2

ArboristSite Lurker
yes,wind was bad here in pa. when they bro.you brought up a good point. i used rope to hold the 3 cluster apart staked in the ground.do you think that caused the trees to be stiff and not swing in wind? but i removed that rope 4 months before this happened.others i did not have them secured to stakes.the main leaders bro off about 2 ft above where i had them held.also,do you think maybe inside limbs rubbed on the main stems of each other?can that cause a weakness.i was going to trim every limb that was or could touch in wind inside but i read that you should not prune to much when young tree.i trimed the main stems off those 2 and left a branch limb to act as leader on each.these cluster birch are out in high wind area at my home.when the main stems bro off they left a jagged piece up about 1/2 inch on main stem.1 was broken just about 1/2 inch above a branch ,other was bro about 4 inchs above a branch.that one was real high up the stem ,i would say above 6ft high on that one and 4 ft on other.they get lots os sunshine, ground is good, trees looked ok to me other than we had a lot of rain this summer and leaves were yellow early this fall and more green the first year i planted them.

Latest posts