Wind, what speed do you get out before you blow out

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wind

daveyclimber said:
I hate the wind , I have been tossed ,ripped off limbs,sea sick,cried,ect in 40-50mph gusts doing storm damage and utility trimming , Did I mention I hate the wind ?
wind it is hard to deal with, however i beleive the standard states to wait until the storm has stopped before doing cleanup etc

Ahhh, wind!! In conifer country, we try not to work on tall trees in wind much over 15 mph----Unless ya gotta do it, or the wind comes up while you're already on the job. But it can sure be fun sometimes. I recall thinning a 110 foot fir just after a wind storm while it was still blowing 20-40 and gusting to 45-50. I was thinning it hard on the way up, in an attempt to storm proof it. I could definitely feel it moving less as i worked it. Another time, I remember branches sailing clear over a downwind house....oops

Ahhh, wind!! In conifer country, we try not to work on tall trees in wind much over 15 mph----Unless ya gotta do it, or the wind comes up while you're already on the job. But it can sure be fun sometimes. I recall thinning a 110 foot fir just after a wind storm while it was still blowing 20-40 and gusting to 45-50. I was thinning it hard on the way up, in an attempt to storm proof it. I could definitely feel it moving less as i worked it. Another time, I remember branches sailing clear over a downwind house....oops

A couple years ago, we traveled to a job on Cougar Mt, east of Seattle near the foothills. There was little or no wind on the drive over. But it was blowing mightily by the time we reached the job. Each of us climbed a big wolfy douglas fir, thinning. The trees weren't moving much since they were so stout, up to 40 inches dbh. But the wind was blowing 30-60!! What fun!! Turns out, it was a huge windstorm that blew down tons of forest all around us that day, but was localized to that area.

Wind sucks! I will take a good bit but once it crosses a line thats it for me. A couple of weeks ago I had a job to do, real good sized limb over a house. Got set up, started working, got two cuts in, and the wind started to blow at gusts of about 40 mph. Forget it, I got my pully out from the top and packed up. If you think about it the tree is used to winds of a speed but not with an extra 200 lbs at the top. Take a stick, tape a weight to one end, hold the other and move it back and forth. A weight at the top of a tree creates a lot of torque on the tree below, Torque=Force*Distance so the higher up you are the more torque that is seen at the tree base or at any point from the base up. In a big oak it probably doesn't matter much though...Some days I just need someone to tell me "Strap on a pair" :blob2: :blob2:

Tree Machine said:
...of Cojones? Agreed. There ARE days where an extra set of balls would be helpful.

My wifes got an extra pair if you want them. She doesn't let me use them anymore.:p

Last week a retired pilot calls just before gust of 65 mph. says I got a dead pine.
I went up it in 20 mph winds only 20 and it was rocking . Sometimes it would gust to 35 I suppose. It was a crazy risky move on my part. It tooke me only 30 minutes but it seems like forever on dead .. I vow never to climb dead in that much wind again. From the spar movement I saw I could have roped a big top trees are incredability strong even dead ones. I vow never to take such a risk again but I want to help the client out before the 65 mph wind came. It worked out good I returned the next day to spikeless climb aview cut. Lemme tell ya that sucks.:laugh:

Latest posts

Back