Winter air flap? Jred 670

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptPutt

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I found the manual online for the 625/630/670. It says something about winter time operation to a flap on the right (chain) side of the motor to let warm air in. My question is what do you do with the flap on the left side of the carb. Should it normally be open during the rest of the time? It wasn't open when the saw was given to me and I'm wondering if it's left one in the summer, right one when it's cold? There doesn't really seem to be any other major air entrance into the carb chamber with them both closed.

Last edited:
It should be closed during the winter and open in the summer. Closing it during the winter prevents icing of the carb.

That might have something to do with the funny idle after coming off the throttle. It will kinda sputter and you have to blip the throttle while it "catches it's breath". So the one on the left, which is before the cylinder head is the "cool" air for the summer, and the one on the right is "warn" air after the cylinder head for winter operation

That might have something to do with the funny idle after coming off the throttle. It will kinda sputter and you have to blip the throttle while it "catches it's breath". So the one on the left, which is before the cylinder head is the "cool" air for the summer, and the one on the right is "warn" air after the cylinder head for winter operation

Yep!
Shep

So I opened up the airbox and as I remembered both flaps were closed. Opened up the black one (cold air side) and she ran better, sort of. I went after the low speed needle to see what it was tuned at. There was so much dust and debris in the screw head I couldn't get a screwdriver in there so I had to loosen the carb and remove the sleeve. The low speed needle was around 2 turns! No wonder it wouldn't idle after a hard cut. Retuned at 1 1/8 turns and adjusted the idle. She's a first pull saw now without the high idle and the transition is great, much better bottom end.

You really to get a Jonsered bar cover :laugh:.

202447d1318357222-imageuploadedbytapatalk1318357110-317876-jpg

I found my compression tester I had left at my parents house tonight. Saw put up 150# on 3 pulls. How does that compare with what a new saw would put up?

Back