Winter Bar Oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stocked up winter weight about three years ago and this is the last gallon.

DSC_0004_zps13984743.jpg

I buy either chain pro or tall timber. It's what's close to me. Bought 5 gallon last spring for 7 buck a gallon. I can't see spending 3-5 buck more a gallon for the same stuff. Haven't had any problems. Cut all winter just keep it in the heated shop at night and pickup cab during the day. Try to not cut when it's sub zero. Haha need a jony 2171 cwh. :msp_biggrin:

I have always cut my regular bar oil with some 5w-20 usually whatever synthetic i get on clearance throughout the year. This stuff always does noticeably thin it but doesn't seem too much.... of course i'm a cut as I go guy, and can cut down to -30 :D
my saws stay in the heated inside ;).
Ever since going to a better quality saw i've been kicking around the idea of just running a winter bar oil....but i have been mixing 3 parts bar oil to 1 part oil.

Most people don't think about that when they are pouring it when it is sub 30... unless are below zero, i don't see an issue with it... I do not buy over priced fancy oil. it all works as it is supposed to.

Truth being told...if its -30 degree, bar oil isn't an issue because im not going outside.

Thanks for the tips everyone. Will head down to TSC tomorrow and see if they have the Husky winter weight in stock. If not, it should be soon...getting very close to winter...and its gonna hit hard this year. Last year was very light.

Truth being told...if its -30 degree, bar oil isn't an issue because im not going outside.

Actually that depends. If no wind it's tolerable. I've worked all day at -20 on the thermometer and it wasn't bad at all. But there was no wind.

I don't think I would of been wanting to cut wood in that though.

How much kerosene is used on average to thin a Gal. of bar oil?
I like to cut when it's C,c,cold.

Thanks for the tips everyone. Will head down to TSC tomorrow and see if they have the Husky winter weight in stock. If not, it should be soon...getting very close to winter...and its gonna hit hard this year. Last year was very light.

Feel free to do whatever you want friend, but if the winter weight oil cost more then it's wasted money. The cheapest stuff you can find will work perfectly.

How much kerosene is used on average to thin a Gal. of bar oil?
I like to cut when it's C,c,cold.

It depends on how cold it is and how thick the oil is to start with. usually no more than a cup per gallon. I never have to thin it though and I cut all winter long. Even though it pours in thick, it comes out of the saw all warm and toasty.....and thinned.
I feel like thin winter grade oil is just too thin once it gets warmed up in the saw. And I think it's just a sham to rob a few extra bucks out of us. I feel this way because I've ran saws of all sorts for many winters, all day, everyday on regular oil with never the first problem. :D

Feel free to do whatever you want friend, but if the winter weight oil cost more then it's wasted money. The cheapest stuff you can find will work perfectly.

It depends on how cold it is and how thick the oil is to start with. usually no more than a cup per gallon. I never have to thin it though and I cut all winter long. Even though it pours in thick, it comes out of the saw all warm and toasty.....and thinned.
I feel like thin winter grade oil is just too thin once it gets warmed up in the saw. And I think it's just a sham to rob a few extra bucks out of us. I feel this way because I've ran saws of all sorts for many winters, all day, everyday on regular oil with never the first problem. :D

Ok thanks!

We don't really have any real weather here in So. NJ. That said WalMart 8 bucks a gallon. Works from 0-90* after that we go to Stihl thick stuff 50/50. I just adjust the oilier according to the conditions, problem solved. Carry your trusty little "pocket tune-driver" never hit the woods with out it.

Back