Winter Moth HELP!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xjma

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So earlier in the 'winter' we had a few early mornings where there were a ton of these buggers around. I'm concerned!!

What (if anything) can we do to get rid of these things?? I hear the state has released insects that will kill them in certain locations....but not everywhere. I live in a large (area wise) rural town and they're not doing anything here. Luckily I have about 70% evergreens (pines and red cedars aka junipers) on my 6 acres, however, I have a few new 12-15' oaks that I would like to get big and old out front and a nice maple stand that I'm concerned about, not to mention a few apple trees. I'm really concerned because although right around my house, on a sandy rise, is predominantly evergreens (which I am told aren't affected by these pests, correct?), walking through the woods you can easily locate my rear property line as there there is a drastic change from predominant evergreens >100 years old to a massive maple grove +/- 50 years of age on average and it goes on like that for a few miles, interrupted by farms here and there, but basically massive amounts of maples.

Can I dissuade the pests from invading my property?? Can I spot treat the ones out front near the road, especially the oak saplings and small maple grove in front of my house?? I don't normally use pesticides and such, and I have a 5 month old baby that will soon be playing in the yard too. Thanx for any advice!

Yes there are a number of ways to "control" these pests. I have had decent luck with horticultural soaps in my backyard of small Oaks. On a grander scale, you can have a local service come by and spray with a variable of chemicals, some a little stronger than others, and usually $10-15 per tree or min. Of $150 at least around here. It takes a few treatments per year, but very effective.

Latest posts

Back