Wipe the snow off or not?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J1m

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a pile of 8' logs that I've been working through over the past few weeks. Fortunately, up until now I haven't worried too much about the snow because we just haven't had much...However, we seem to be in a pretty familiar winter pattern now where it snows just about every day.

During the week when I don't have time to tend to the pile, approximately 6" of snow (sometimes more) will pile up. Do I need to worry about brushing the snow off the logs before hitting them with the chainsaw or do you guys just ignore the snow and saw right through it when you're bucking your logs? What are the consequences to the chain/bar/saw if any?

It would be nearly impossible to get all the ice/snow build up off the logs, so maybe I'm just over thinking it.

As long as the frozen stuff is clean, no mud or dirt, it won't dull it much if any. Just scrape what you can off it and cut.

The snow itself ain't gonna' damage the chain and bar, but it can kind'a make a mess inside the clutch cover when it melts and mixes with saw chips. I usually give it a quick brush-off with my glove, a branch, or whatever is handy, if I'm close to the shop I'll grab the old broom... I don't work hard at it, just whatever comes off easy. I have had the saw suck powdery snow in the flywheel side and dampen down the ignition, causing the saw to die... normally the saw is warm enough that the moisture will evaporate/dry in just a minute or two and restart. I don't know if that's hard on the ignition or not. Stihl makes a "winter kit" that puts a "diaper" on the lower part of the flywheel vents to try a keep this from happening.

When cutting green wood, the saw is subject to the sap in the wood; so, I do not think snow is anymore harmful to your saw. Having said that, there might be a safety aspect of uncovering the wood you are cutting so you have better visibility of what you are trying to cut.

Laugh if you want

I've found a backpack blower, in my case a BR600, works wonders. Makes fast work of the powdery stuff, and if you can get enough air flow under the crusty stuff it will take it off in big chunks.

I really try to clean off the pile of tree length before cutting for safety reasons. If you keep stepping on the snow on the lower logs the packed snow turns to ice and can make for some exciting times when cutting. In real cold weather sucking in powder, icing up the filter, and stalling out the saw from lack of air is a definite problem. Have had it happen many times over the years, with last year being particularly bad.

Take Care

I was cutting some downed pine and apple today and I just kick off the snow with my boot where I'm gonna cut and have at it. I haven't had a problem yet, but you just have to be careful because ya can't see how close you are to the ground (with the snow cover).
'

Laugh if you want

I've found a backpack blower, in my case a BR600, works wonders. Makes fast work of the powdery stuff, and if you can get enough air flow under the crusty stuff it will take it off in big chunks.

We use backpack blowers here when it snows. My employer has a lawn care/snow removal contract with a 43 lot neighborhood of retirees, and whatever the tractor and truck/snowplow can't handle, we blow. It's a cash job in the winter, but we haven't seen a flake yet. Sure could use the work.

Latest posts

Back