wire core flip line

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I`m getting ready to purchase a microcender for my wire core flip line.
Is there another method for adjustment that I should consider?

YES !!!

The Microjuster has a safety advantage over the Microscender for flipline use. The difference between these two tools is very small, but very important.

The cam on the Microscender has a spring-loaded quick release pin that can accidentally come loose, causing death. This pin is recessed in an integral cast or machined housing in the body of the device. This housing adds bulk to the unit. I wore one out, and never had a problem with accidental popout, but the possibility was always on my mind. This possibility was both distracting, and safety-awareness raising.

On the other hand, the Microjuster was designed by an arborist to have the flipline bolted in behind the cam, with a locknut on the end of the bolt. Two wrenches are needed to remove the flipline from it. I can't see it coming off accidentally. This has relieved my mind considerably. Looking at the two devices, the appearance is clear. The absence of the pin housing streamlines the MJ. It should be cheaper than the MS, since the housing & complex spring pin are not necessary.

Gibbs also requires us to buy an expensive pin (which I store on the shelf) for it's product line. I use a 3/4" stainless steel Gibbs on a long, large diameter flipline when taking down big timber. The cam is bolted in, as this is my only use for this item.

The Microscender is a mountaineering or caving tool that has been adapted by arborists for flipline application. The Microjuster is a superior refinement, built and sold exclusively for us. It does not have the versatility of it's daddy, which may be the reason for discontinuing it from the new Sherrill catalog. If the MJ had been designed with a slightly larger rope diameter capacity, smoother feeding of lines may have increased it's acceptance.

Last edited:
Call Mike Archdeacon at Vermeer (1-800-668-9065) in Toronto. They have the best supply of parts etc. and are now associated with Sherril. Be prepared for the price though. A spliced piece of ultra-tech for the VT hitch is $48, roughly $18 for non-spliced 51 in ultra tech. Did not look at prices of microjuster when I was in last week.

Michael

Thanks, what`s interesting is Vermeer lists a Petzl micro grab on page 18 but I don`t see one in Sherrills catalog unless I missed it.

The Ultra tech is sold for $2 a foot. You Won't like the spliced stuff as much as just tieing a fisherman's knot at each end because the splice tapper comes into play and affects how the hitch ties and holds.

If $2 a foot is too much, you could do what I did and go to REI or some other rock climbing outfit look for some appropriate accessory cord.

By buying a hank of cord, you will be able to adjust the length and make several prussic cords for just a few bucks. The premade cords are set up for 1/2" climbing line and your lanyard is a little fatter. You can also adjust the length by adding or removing a cross, a twist, or a loop to the hitch though.

The biggest benifit will be performance, you can take up AND let out slack with presure on the lanyard, with one hand. With the ascender you need to remove weight from the lanyard to slack it. You will also find it easier to take up slack for two reasons. First the lanyards with wire in them are thicker and fit quite snuggly into the microacsenders, and second, the pulley on the prussic allows for greater directionality of pull.

Sherrill have a 2 in 1 combo where they illustrate a hip prusik and snap on a wire core.
It appears that the splice on these is a safe distance from the bar on the hitch.
I should probably try both methods on my standard and wire core flip line.

Originally posted by Oxman

The cam on the Microscender has a spring-loaded quick release pin that can accidentally come loose, causing death.

According to the text in the Sherrill catalog, the Microcender "comes with bolt to replace spring pin in life support situations."

Latest posts

Back