wiring lp furnace blower to help hotblast

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beware of CO2 being sucked back into the house !

I run a Jensen wood furnace in my house. This has been my main heat source for the past 20 years or so. I also have an oil furnace that we run when the temps get over 40 deg. Years ago I had the unfortunate experience of my CO/2 alarm going off at night. I remember waking up (with a real bad headache) to a loud pitched noise coming from the hallway. After a few frantic minutes I realized that the alarm went off because the oil burner had kicked on overnight with the wood stove on at the same time. The Jensen has a blower on the back because I have a hot air heating system (duct supplied through out the house). This negative vacuum with the wood stove blower running had caused the oil burner flue gas to come back into the house. Remember, carbon monoxide is Oder less, so if the alarm never went off I could have died along with the rest of my family. A very COMMON but fatal mistake when running 2 heat sources at the same time. I immediately woke my family up and evacuated the house for a while after opening all windows and doors.

To summarize , First always have a C/O detector along with smoke alarms (all with fresh batteries) in your house at all times. Secondly,
only run 1 heat producing source in your house at one time to insure that the ODER-LESS exhaust gasses are not re=entering your
house. I know that I will never make the mistake again. I was
lucky. When the wood furnace is on I always shut off
the main furnace switch at the top of the stairs......

Back