wiring on furnace fans what do they mean

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zsteinmetz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
hey guys im in the process of building a hanging heater for my garage to hook up to my owb. I found an old furnace with a good fan in it and pulled it out. Im gonna mount a 12x12 inch heat exchanger to the front of it and hopefully it will work. Im wondering what the wiring colors mean coming off the fan. Red (assuming hot wire) White (assuming neutral) and a yellow which i dont have any idea. Any help appreciated and any help on the hooking of a thermoastat to this. Do they make one to plug into the wall then plug the fan to it? Or can i hook a regular one to the fan without having to pull out circuit boards etc. and have to mount them to the fan motor housing.

That's a two speed fan. Ones a neutral and then you got the high and low speed winding. And yes you can get a line voltage t-stat at your local wholesale elec supply house to run it.

Last edited:
so when hooking up to an outlet I can put either the yellow or the red to the hot side of the plug depending on how fast i want it?

or, use a voltage rated toggle switch to give you the option of speed control.

my central air unit has a 3 speed blower which was manually set at one speed. i ran wires from it to a 3 way toggle switch which i mounted on the wall above the thermostat. that way i could change the speed of the blower any time i wanted to.

wiring a fan

one option it to wire in a dimmer switch so you could control the speed of the fan (when you need lots of heat turn speed up when you need a little slow it down )then after the dimmer switch wire in a 110 v thermostat . when it calls for heat it will turn on the fan .

Latest posts

Back