With a stopwatch...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Last weekend, out of curiosity I enlisted a buddy with a stopwatch to compare the differences between the 260 Pro and the 2145 J'red.

The results were interesting.
Log was a 8 1/2 green pine, diameter stayed fairly consistant.
4 cuts (down, up, down, up)

Jonsered full comp (.325) :24
Jonsered Full skip (.325) :32

Stihl Full comp (.325) :34
Stihl Full skip (.325) :38

Stihl Full comp (.375) :43
Stihl Full skip (.375) :37

And to put all this in perspective I fired up the Stihl 460 (.375 full comp)
With the chips flying.... :13

So the 026 is slow. I knew that. Skip in 3/8 is just as fast as skip in .325 which surprised me! Full comp in 3/8 really bogs the motor.

Just some info for the more learned to ponder....:popcorn:

-Pat

You indicate you used 'similar' chains on both saws; but, did you use the 'same' chain and bar on each saw for your tests? My question really is whether some of the difference is due to different bar and chains as well as different saws. :popcorn:

West Texas said:
You indicate you used 'similar' chains on both saws; but, did you use the 'same' chain and bar on each saw for your tests? My question really is whether some of the difference is due to different bar and chains as well as different saws. :popcorn:

Maybe if Stihl would step to the plate and standardize their bar mount pad like everyone else has he could have made a more accurate test.

just my .02 Scott

I was wonderin about chain as well. Bars won't swap, but chains can. But then I realized the outcome didn't concern me anyway.

A difference so negligible, even if it were in the opposite order, is of little consequence - other than evidencing how inconsequential it is.

I wouldn't dissuade anyone from buying a Husky or a Stihl if that's what they were leaning toward. Why would I want the blame later for whatever they do to it?

If someone here has no 'preference' I'll recommend Stihl here. Dealer is top notch and open on Sat.

Chaser

West Texas said:
Agree, I am not the least surprised if the chain on the Jred was 95VP/S30/H30, and Stihl RM on the 260 (both are semi-chisel, but that is where the similarities end).

.325 full comp being faster than 3/8" full comp, is as could be expected on an unmodified MS260.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back