With Pics. Step by step process to stop the 346xp from leaking bar oil, maybe.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

expy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I started this thread so amateurs like myself might have a better understanding of the bar oil leaking 346xp (the blind leading the blind?). My 346xp performs like a champ and we all know it's place amongst the great saws but when it drains the oil tank after shut down there must be a problem. I found where mine is leaking from and hope this helps others find their leak (if they want to).

Sitting here for 12 hours. May be normal to some but I'm going to try and at least slow it up a bit.
2012-02-05112039.jpg

Green arrow points to where the oil is pooling before dripping out.
2012-02-05161501.jpg

Removed the clutch.
2012-02-05161920.jpg

Down to where we can start seeing the origin of the leak. Green arrow points to where it seems to be oozing. The area where the yellow arrow points to is completely dry, so oil is not leaking down from where the oil tube meets the bar.
2012-02-05162239.jpg

Pulled the tube that runs from the oil pump up to the bar. The Green arrow points to a nipple on the pump that the oil tube seats to. This is a possible leak source.
2012-02-05163511.jpg

Removed the oil pump. Here the green arrow points to a rubber saddle that the oil pump seats into with the same type of nipple on the outer side. Same possible leak source. The rubber saddle itself seats into the oil tank which could be another possible leak source.
2012-02-05164938.jpg

Last edited:
I put grease on both sides of the oil pump nipples.
2012-02-05170032.jpg

2012-02-05170308.jpg

I reseated the oil line.
2012-02-05170405.jpg

Back together.
2012-02-05172018.jpg

I went out and ran it for a couple of minutes. I will let it sit overnight then we will see if it helped. if it doesn't slow down the leaking bar oil I may try a sealant like some on AS have done with success.

Now, I do have a Harley that's 6 years old and it has no leaks whatsoever. :msp_tongue:

2011-06-30125751-1.jpg

Last edited:
Did you take your saw outside for a few minutes before the dab o' grease?

If you care to remove your bar and chain before storing your saw you will likely notice that it never leaked much oil. Most of the oil that "leaking" comming off your bar and chain, and where does your bar end on the powerhead side..............damn near right where you have that other arrow.

The majority of the "chronic leakers" that come into the shop have two main issues light weight bar oil in the summer time/full oil tank filled at -30 and stored in +20 environments, or just drip down.

First thing I do is take the bar and chain off , top up the oil tank, and give it a blast of air and clean things up then set it down, and check back the next day, then the next day.......most till the customer comes to pick it up and asked what I did to fix it.

Did you take your saw outside for a few minutes before the dab o' grease?

If you care to remove your bar and chain before storing your saw you will likely notice that it never leaked much oil. Most of the oil that "leaking" comming off your bar and chain, and where does your bar end on the powerhead side..............damn near right where you have that other arrow.

The majority of the "chronic leakers" that come into the shop have two main issues light weight bar oil in the summer time/full oil tank filled at -30 and stored in +20 environments, or just drip down.

First thing I do is take the bar and chain off , top up the oil tank, and give it a blast of air and clean things up then set it down, and check back the next day, then the next day.......most till the customer comes to pick it up and asked what I did to fix it.

At this point I wiped that area clean and then rotated the gear on the oil pump. I could see oil oozing from the area shown by the green arrow, it took awhile but it leaked from that area.
2012-02-05162239.jpg

This picture was taken at 8:09 PM Central on 02/05/2012. Let's see what happens over 12 hours. I did wipe off the oil that accumulated after running the saw for a couple of minutes.
2012-02-05200918.jpg

Last edited:
At this point I wiped that area clean and then rotated the gear on the oil pump. I could see oil oozing from the area shown by the green arrow, it took awhile but it leaked from that area.
2012-02-05162239.jpg

The plate applies pressure to the oil lines as such sealing it and sending the oil into the feed channel for the bar. If you were to apply pressure with your finger to the feed channel then spin the oil pump like crazy, in most cases it will not leak there, usually it is the o-ring inside the pump that gives up the ghost.

Engineering anyalysis........sit back and think of how things work.

I don't know if you are all professional photograhers but those are great pics, all mine look like photocopied polaroids.

The plate applies pressure to the oil lines as such sealing it and sending the oil into the feed channel for the bar. If you were to apply pressure with your finger to the feed channel then spin the oil pump like crazy, in most cases it will not leak there, usually it is the o-ring inside the pump that gives up the ghost.

Engineering anyalysis........sit back and think of how things work.

I don't know if you are all professional photograhers but those are great pics, all mine look like photocopied polaroids.

Good points Hamish and yes, I did hold pressure to that union. As far as the pics go I just have a 2 year old Samsung cell phone to take mine. I did have to take a bunch of pictures to get the few that looked good.

Mine leaks from the exact same place. I used some ultra black silicone on it the first time, it fixed it for awhile. Last week i tore it back down, cleaned the silicone off, and put it back together with a little washer between the bar pad and the rubber output line on the oil pump. My thoughts were that the washer might take up some room and make the connections tighter. I havent had much time lately, so i dont know if it fixed it or not.

Mine leaks from the exact same place. I used some ultra black silicone on it the first time, it fixed it for awhile. Last week i tore it back down, cleaned the silicone off, and put it back together with a little washer between the bar pad and the rubber output line on the oil pump. My thoughts were that the washer might take up some room and make the connections tighter. I havent had much time lately, so i dont know if it fixed it or not.

That may end up being a great idea komatsuvarna.

I wonder if there's an issue with tolerances on your saw. My 346 doesn't leak and is a couple years old.

I think a nice porting job would make me forget that this saw has a little leaking bar oil problem! :msp_thumbup:

I think a nice porting job would make me forget that this saw has a little leaking bar oil problem! :msp_thumbup:

I was thinking about that yesterday. Mine runs awesome with a muffler mod and squishified. Ported correctly would be insane!

It's only been 11 hours but I'm calling it fixed. Now I just have to see how long the grease will hold. At least I know where the source of the leak is and can try different things as needed.

Before.
2012-02-05112039.jpg

After.
fixed.jpg

That test isnt accurate. You only waited 11 hours not 12.:D Good job with the pics and stuff.

That test isnt accurate. You only waited 11 hours not 12.:D Good job with the pics and stuff.

The testing parameters were also failed by the fact that the elevation changed by 2'7" going from the coffee (saw) table in the front room to the bar (not the saw table) in the kitchen. The paper placed under the saw in the second test, that shows it fixed, also put the 346 at such an angle that there was no possible way oil could leak out. I futher askewed the test by standing over the top of the saw for the entire 11 hours chanting ...please don't leak, please don't leak, please don't leak..............:wink2:

The testing parameters were also failed by the fact that the elevation changed by 2'7" going from the coffee (saw) table in the front room to the bar (not the saw table) in the kitchen. The paper placed under the saw in the second test, that shows it fixed, also put the 346 at such an angle that there was no possible way oil could leak out. I futher askewed the test by standing over the top of the saw for the entire 11 hours chanting ...please don't leak, please don't leak, please don't leak..............:wink2:

See there ya go, better start all over again and be exactly perfect this time.

Expy, great photos and info!

I just have to say that most 346's don't leak, but evidently there are a few out there that do.

I can't remember my old one ever leaking and the new one might have a few drops under it at times.

Expy, great photos and info!

I just have to say that most 346's don't leak, but evidently there are a few out there that do.

I can't remember my old one ever leaking and the new one might have a few drops under it at times.

And it looks like the fix is pretty simple if it does leak.

Latest posts

Back