Wives and Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CapitaineHaddoc

CapitaineHaddoc

European Westcoaster
It's easier when you are pro lumberjack, the only thing to say is "You know honey, it's for my job".

Well, sometimes she tells me "you have only two arms", and I replied "you only have two feet for more than 100 shoes"

RedFir Down

RedFir Down

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I just tell my wife it could be a hot rod car. Saws are a lot cheaper.:msp_biggrin:

I have used that line several times as well!!! (She gets pretty quite after that.)
One thing about it she never complains about a nice toasty house watching the fire dance around in the stove in the dead of winter!
She is very understanding though, she knows I have a problem!:msp_biggrin:

angelo c
When did we stop being Men !!!!

Pay the bills, feed the kids , house the family and dont be a **** head. No women i ever knew wanted a metro mamby pamby softtie dude. Be a good provider and dont be a jerk. Thats communication. Thats how you stay married, not worrying about buying a few extra saws.

Work a little harder and these little things work them selves out. Oh and if you cant afford to take your wife out once a month to some special date, then you cant afford another saw, or gun or a wife.

I joke around a lot about my wife but lemme tell ya, id be lost without her. I could live with just one ms 250 though.

Last edited:
bowtechmadman

bowtechmadman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Wife is great about my addiction especially since I gave up the addiction that would kill me (chewing tobacco). She admires them, rolls eyes, then reminds me that house better be good and warm all winter.
7yr old daughter wondered why I thought I needed another saw when we looked at one at the pawn shop today. She thought I was plumb crazy when I put it in the back of the car after giving the nice man 280 bucks for a very nice Jred 2171WH. Told her that her husband someday would thank me.

olyman
I "hide" mine in plain sight in the garage, in fact there are several on the bench in front of where she parks her car. She know saws come in and knows some go out. Since I am now space restricted and can't bring home cars, trucks, tractors and dozers she is more tolerant. However, I did not correct her when she told someone I had 35 saws.

DOZERS??????!!!!!!!! oh man!!!:laugh:

spike60

spike60

Addicted to ArboristSite
So I seem to be getting something interesting going with the new girlfriend and then you guys go and start this thread? :msp_scared: Just called her up and told her I don't think it's going to work out. :msp_sneaky:

Actually she's a VERY cool gal. I did make a point of telling her on the first date that I have about 130 saws. But ya see, I own a saw shop and I do this for a living. Build 'em, run 'em, sell 'em, attend meetings, test prototypes. Even attending GTG's is all in a day's work, right? And I'm a "collector", which by definition means that I'm supposed to have a lot of saws and that it's natural for the number to groooooow. :msp_biggrin:

MarkEagleUSA

MarkEagleUSA

ArboristSite Guru
I have 2 hobbies... D-I college hockey, and, since May, CAD. I've always had a couple of saws but the addition of a 550XP and 2 562XP's has upped the ante a bit.

My wife understands and even encourages it as long as we can still pay the bills. She also has her hobbies that I don't really question, even if I don't understand them! ;)

Moparmyway

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
My wife understands that I have things to do, and tinker with saws is just one of them ........
but she just doesnt get how much better a saw runs @ 10,000 in the cut - close to 14k WOT
compared to 6,000 in the cut and 8,500 WOT stock with a MM.

altair

altair

ArboristSite Operative
I'm a damned lucky guy I reckon, got a wife who just rolls her eyes and smiles at my mower/chainsaw collection. Shes happy, if her hubby is happy I think, and she knows I'm an outdoorsy bloke who is happy with fresh air and dirty hands.
She came from a very busy and clean Singapore to NZ's open paddocks, cold winters and hard work with firewood etc..but she voluntarily digs in and helps with loading wood on the trailer, splitting it etc and never complains..in fact she is the "boss" of the woodsplitter control lever to make sure my hands are safe lol...

Joe Kidd

Joe Kidd

Where's Fish?
It is funny you mentioned that because my wife started counting my saws a little while back!!
So what I do now is stash them in different parts of the garage!!:msp_sneaky: (Kind of like hiding them!) It helps throw her off or lose count.

Put a raggady bar on 'em. The eyes see that first. Ask me how I know! :D

angelo c
I'm a damned lucky guy I reckon, got a wife who just rolls her eyes and smiles at my mower/chainsaw collection. Shes happy, if her hubby is happy I think, and she knows I'm an outdoorsy bloke who is happy with fresh air and dirty hands.
She came from a very busy and clean Singapore to NZ's open paddocks, cold winters and hard work with firewood etc..but she voluntarily digs in and helps with loading wood on the trailer, splitting it etc and never complains..in fact she is the "boss" of the woodsplitter control lever to make sure my hands are safe lol...

Ok buddy you keep that wife and we need some more pics of that splitter .

altair

altair

ArboristSite Operative
Ok buddy you keep that wife and we need some more pics of that splitter .

Hi, that's a hire splitter we have used a few times, if you go to Levin Sawmakers Ltd and then click on the arborists supplies, there's a photo plus info on page 42-43 of the splitter.. Would be interesting for some of you guys to see the no doubt "huge" price differences between NZ and the USA/Canada for gear like chains/bars/climbing equipment etc etc.
The splitter is made here in Levin, a town of about17,000 people.
Damned powerful machine, seems to plow through anything, including old, dry gum..the hardest wood I've come across. Hire one has a Kohler of about 12HP I recall.

Hope there's something of interest in the catalogue.

altair

altair

ArboristSite Operative
Actually forgot to mention it says "split with ease" in the blurb about the splitter, if you look at the photo, on the table if you can picture where the blade "edge" would hit, there is a steel plate around 1/2 inch thick, which comes up above the table slightly when the splitter is laboring hard deep in a chunk of wood...that seems to give it the edge it needs to a split hard/knotty piece.

BigDaddyR

BigDaddyR

Addicted to ArboristSite

Um. She looks very nice and pretty, lucky you:msp_thumbsup: But... um.. where are the saws:msp_confused::laugh:

This is a message from your local CAD chapter.

BigDaddyR

BigDaddyR

Addicted to ArboristSite
I've seen this thread before. My wife is good with saws as long as it doesn't put us out. She wasn't so happy when I got myself one for Christmas this last year and blew her plans to get me a whole new wardrobe for Christmas. :msp_scared: Since then she's seen me use my 365 to put down some pretty big wood and realizes there's a right size tool for each job. She's good with it now.

Now that I've brought home a few deals and "resurrected" them from the dead and sold on or two for a little $$ she gets it. Self funding, hobby for me, I work hard and keep the house warm, cut grass to help buy saws. She's good. Helps now too that she has a hobby of buying furniture at auction, antiquing it and then reselling it. Only problem is that I have to share the garage:msp_scared: Nice quality time actually. Except when I have to tune a saw LOL There goes her peace and quite.

No hiding saws from her. We do the honesty thing, plus she knows I'm helpless. LOL. Being a deal finder also helps. Buy a saw for $10 and bring back to life, use then resell.

angelo c
Actually forgot to mention it says "split with ease" in the blurb about the splitter, if you look at the photo, on the table if you can picture where the blade "edge" would hit, there is a steel plate around 1/2 inch thick, which comes up above the table slightly when the splitter is laboring hard deep in a chunk of wood...that seems to give it the edge it needs to a split hard/knotty piece.

Neat splitter, real cool catalog as well.

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
How many of you guys get saws and unload them out of the car and mix them in with your others when wife isnt looking and then when she asks weeks down the road, Is that a new saw? And you just say no I've had that for quite awhile??:msp_biggrin: I think mine is starting to count the saws:(

I never had that problem with my wife (SawWitch) when she still lived - she actually encouraged me, and even bought some saws for me! However, I never really went "overbord" regarding the number of saws.....:msp_wink: