Woe is me, still hand splitting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, I thought this was the Moe is me thread. :confused:
MoeHowardThreeStooges_zpseef81c04.jpg

Last edited:
When I got a stent stuck in my pump last year

I wish I could work up a sweat but having a heart attack back in 1993 and a stint put in about 10 years ago leaves me short of breath quick. I know my limits and work within them, I can split a few pieces then I have to wander off and do some sit down work. It was just getting harder and harder for me to keep up with the splitting, I even bought some firewood this winter as I was out of splits.

John

the heart doc encouraged me to get back to normal activity after just a month, I explained normal was climbing trees with a chainsaw and splitting wood with a maul, and he said go for it. Haven't had a problem since, except scratches bleed and I bruise a little more from the blood thinners. Sorry to read your episode didn't turn out as well as mine. Just thankful for what we can do!

It can make itself an issue, (splitting all that wood). I meditated on it while I split wood for fifteen years and decided to forget about that extra step. We'll find out how small Blazin' or Greendohn splits it for their OWB. If you never worked one you might be suprised how counter efficient it would be to try and run little splits through it. It is all abouit carburation.
Didn't we just do the whole stove vs. furnace vs. OWB thing? I understood what you were getting at, but I don't have an OWB and don't want one. For other types of wood burning equipment, split wood works much better.

Didn't we just do the whole stove vs. furnace vs. OWB thing? I understood what you were getting at, but I don't have an OWB and don't want one. For other types of wood burning equipment, split wood works much better.

Didn't you just do the whole, "My house gets down to 55 degrees thing?" That don't work too damn good at all. I like 80 and some opened window.

If you dont mind a two season wait, small to medium branch wood (one to six inches, I actually go bigger but I am an oddball extremist as well...) cuts and stacks real fast and burns just fine. I know some species will rot if not split, talking about...other then those species About the only problem with unsplit wood here I get is hickory branch wood and them hickory munchin bugs. Everything else, no probs, even oak dries eventually and doesnt rot..elsewhere maybe it does, but not here in the sizes I would leave whole.

Didn't you just do the whole, "My house gets down to 55 degrees thing?" That don't work too damn good at all. I like 80 and some opened window.
That was in my bedroom at the farthest end of the house. If I want to burn more wood my house can be plenty hot. I think we hit 100 in the basement room about 4 times this year (it's 92 now and 70 in the living room upstairs). If I run both stoves hard I bet I still use less wood than an OWB would, and regardless, I don't need anything but a match and some dry, split wood to make mine work - no blowers, no circulators or water systems or pipes to leak. So yeah, I hear you can burn unsplit power poles in that OWB, but that doesn't make it appealing to me.

Basically, the fact that with an OWB system you can skip the splitting part is interesting, but it isn't relevant to other types of wood burning systems and it still does not make me want one - maybe it would factor into someone else's decision though.

If you dont mind a two season wait, small to medium branch wood (one to six inches, I actually go bigger but I am an oddball extremist as well...) cuts and stacks real fast and burns just fine. I know some species will rot if not split, talking about...other then those species About the only problem with unsplit wood here I get is hickory branch wood and them hickory munchin bugs. Everything else, no probs, even oak dries eventually and doesnt rot..elsewhere maybe it does, but not here in the sizes I would leave whole.
Yeah, I do that too - I burn plenty of 4" and under stuff unsplit.

Splitting wood is where art marries science. Get in the zone and don't forget to rotate your hips. Or get a splitter and pull a handle. I got tired of the fumes and noise. If ya burn it indoors, you'll need some small dry chunks lol. The best thing about indoor burners is radiant heat. Formeldahyde in the house is the cost of doin' business at any rate. The cost in general of solid fuel system operation is rising. Whatever you do, do it now. Don't just talk about it.

the heart doc encouraged me to get back to normal activity after just a month, I explained normal was climbing trees with a chainsaw and splitting wood with a maul, and he said go for it. Haven't had a problem since, except scratches bleed and I bruise a little more from the blood thinners. Sorry to read your episode didn't turn out as well as mine. Just thankful for what we can do!

Yep, I'm just glad I can do as much as I can do and work within my limits.

John

Arbonaut....I think the Budweiser wagon was in reference to Whitespider's problems and comment 2 beers won't do it. If two won't get it, get the whole wagon.

I filed my Mexican steel maul head last year to better match the taper of an old maul that has been in my family for years. A very good mod indeed, as posted here already.

I'll swing the axe over the maul all day of I can help it.

I gave up swinging long ago :) I still hate firewood but then you would need to be me to understand why :)

003-5.jpg

Latest posts

Back