Woe is me, still hand splitting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. Axe vs Maul vs Splitter. Axe vs Maul is bringing a knife to a gunfight. Maul vs Splitter = Rifle vs Tank. A tank is good if you need one. Kinda low on mobility, though. Strategy resides in the preliminary stages of battle. Tactics are employed on the march. Think of ways to make the wood work for you. Don't fight it.

Access your needs then adapt to accommodate the needs in the most efficient way.

Lordy, firewood is not that hard to think about. I cut it, I throw it in the back of the pickup, I dump it out, I split it. I am not preaching to anybody. If you have $$ to spend on fancy equipment and you might even need it if you sell wood, good for you. If not, you get good exercise.

Right now I'm cutting alder, the wood that gets no respect. MOST chunks just take a tap with the maul because alder is a soft hardwood.

Comparing firewood to military stuff? That's stretching things a bit far. KISS.

I did that. And took every angle I could think of. But my wrist for some reason have gotten sorta touchy. So the grip part has gotten not that dependable as of late. So I go the route that makes thing easier on me all the way around. I'll not go back from my 22T Huskee. It's just a sweet working little piece of work.

Lordy, firewood is not that hard to think about. I cut it, I throw it in the back of the pickup, I dump it out, I split it. I am not preaching to anybody. If you have $$ to spend on fancy equipment and you might even need it if you sell wood, good for you. If not, you get good exercise.

Right now I'm cutting alder, the wood that gets no respect. MOST chunks just take a tap with the maul because alder is a soft hardwood.

Comparing firewood to military stuff? That's stretching things a bit far. KISS.

That's nice if your physically able to do that, if not you make adjustments...

John

Maul vs Splitter = Rifle vs Tank. A tank is good if you need one. Kinda low on mobility, though.

Not my splitter! That was one of the major points in my post.
It's small, light, fast, powerful, runs all day on a gallon or two of gas, and is extremely mobile using less energy than swinging an axe (my 5-year-old can move it into position)... so, unless it's a small pile of easy-to-split stuff, I question why I would swing an axe or a maul ?? It would make no sense...

Not my splitter! That was one of the major points in my post.
It's small, light, fast, powerful, runs all day on a gallon or two of gas, and is extremely mobile using less energy than swinging an axe (my 5-year-old can move it into position)... so, unless it's a small pile of easy-to-split stuff, I question why I would swing an axe or a maul ?? It would make no sense...

Splitting wood period makes no sense. You missed the point of my post.

You can burn wood without splitting it. There is a reason people have been splitting it for maybe a couple of thousand years.

Splitting wood period makes no sense. You missed the point of my post.

In the climate some of us live in, it won't dry fast enough unsplit. Nor will my tiny stove hold it. Different weather climates require different means of production. In fact, I was ripping the bark off to speed up drying. :cheers:

I just finished the latest load and had a nice workout. I take a radio outside. This morning it had to be put in a plastic bag because we have fog. I can listen to what's going on, throw a ball for The Used Dog, and do some productive work.

Next week, I'll go get some more alder. :msp_thumbsup:

The most prominent flash hole I'm familiar with is the hole in the old flintlocks or black powder cannons. It allowed the flash from the igniter to go through the flash hole of the weapon to light the powder charge.

Splitting wood period makes no sense.

That's totally ridiculous...
Besides the obvious, such as knocking down large rounds to a manageable size that can be lifted and stacked in a stable manner...
Some species of wood will only rot if not split... paper birch being one I have personal experience with, Pin Cherry is another.
Hardwoods such as White and Bur Oak simply will not season in a timely way if left in-the-round... even after 3-4 years the Bur Oak I've left in-the-round larger than 5-inches or so will hiss, steam and boil moisture out the ends.
Splitting also allows the bark to release and fall free from the wood, which reduces the mount of junk entering the firebox, which in turn dramatically reduces the amount of ash.
The exposed, dry edges of split firewood catches fire more readily... causing it to char and heat faster while smoldering less.
Splitting is faster, cheaper, and less work than noodling... besides, there is a lot of wood wasted from the kerf during noodling.

Not splitting firewood makes no sense... people have been splitting firewood since the stone age (Don't believe me? Well, the American Indian was splitting firewood with stone tools when the White Man arrived) simply because it makes sense.

Last edited:
If we didn't split wood, then we would miss out on all these great topics:

Fiskars 28" vs 36"
Lever Axe
simple vs. grenade wedge
6lb or 8lb maul
hydraulic vs. flywheel
horizontal vs. vert/horiz.
stand or sit on milk crate
velocity vs. mass
volume before vs after split
drying rate of ends vs. middle
axe vs. maul
splitter head grinding
bizitchin' about elm and gum
best saws for noodling
splitting with explosives videos
pics of our youngsters splitting
shins & crotch seeking splits
amazing feats of splitting by Chuck Norris

Now go have a beer. Better yet, go split some wood and have two beers! :cheers:

It can make itself an issue, (splitting all that wood). I meditated on it while I split wood for fifteen years and decided to forget about that extra step. We'll find out how small Blazin' or Greendohn splits it for their OWB. If you never worked one you might be suprised how counter efficient it would be to try and run little splits through it. It is all abouit carburation.

It's a Sasquatch. Now what exactly is a "flashole?" :beer:

Preston was on the right track. I participate in a lot of Shooting/Reloading forums, been doing it for years. When I first joined I needed a unique identity related to the "sport" - the flash hole is the small hole in a centerfire cartridge that allows the ignition flame from the primer to pass through the bottom of the case and into the powder column igniting the powder.

The name comes with a story.

One day all the parts of the cartridge were talking and debating who should be The Boss.

I should be the Boss says the Bullet. After all, I am what does the work in the end and I am the most important.

I should be the Boss says the Case. After all, I hold everything together. That makes Me the most important.

No, no, I should be the Boss says the Powder. After all, the power to do everything comes from me. That makes Me the most important.

I disagree said the Primer, I should be the Boss. Without me nothing would happen. I am clearly the most important.

The debate went on for quite some time and then the Flash Hole piped up and said ... I should be the Boss. All the other parts of the cartridge laughed and ridiculed the Flash Hole telling him it was ludicrous to think a Flash Hole had any claim to being The Boss. And with that the Flash Hole decided to prove his point.

At the next range outing the Flash Hole simply closed himself up. The primer ignited but nothing happened. The powder didn't burn and was powerless. The bullet sat logged in the case and didn't do any work. The case and all its constituents were tossed in the water bucket as a misfire. This happened again and again. After much lamenting of their situation, all the parts of the cartridge agreed. The Flash Hole should be The Boss.

Moral of the story, you don't have to be important to be the Boss, you just have to be a Flash Hole.

Now go have a beer. Better yet, go split some wood and have two beers! :cheers:

Tonight I came home (well, I was called home early) to an overflowing toilet and a flooded bathroom. First, it seems, the 5-year-old flushed a toy :msp_mad: and then, as luck would have it, the flush valve stuck open :mad2: and to top off the whole mess, the wife couldn't get the supply valve to budge :angry:
Really ?? Coincidence ?? Or just bad Luck ??
I killed the well pump as soon as I stepped from the van and finally got the supply valve closed after beating on it. It took an hour just to clean up all the water with the shop vac... I ended up removing the tank from the bowl, removing the bowl from the floor, retrieving the toy from the top of the bowl trap, rebuilding the tank and reinstalling the whole darn works (after a trip to town for parts).

So what's my point ??
Two beers ain't near enough... I'm way past that !!

Latest posts

Back