woke up to 70* in the house for the first time in 12 years

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave_dj1

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Like the title says, I woke up at 5 am and it was 70* in the house (we usually kept it at 67-68). Reason is, I moved my outside hot air wood furnace from the garage to the house! That thread can be found here (http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/154832.htm)
Yeah, I stopped supporting big oil yesterday! After testing it for almost 3 seasons in the garage and looking at the price of fuel oil I decided it was time.
I'll try to get a couple of pics some time this morning. I filled the dump trailer up with splits and backed it right in next to the furnace.
I made a panel to fit into a door opening, I have a walk out basement and we never use that door (there are two others in basement). House is a one level ranch with walk out basement.
Only problem is that I have to figure out is how to get the warm air distributed more evenly. I have fan in the hallway (basement is finished) and it works fine but I don't like to leave it on all night.
I need to see about tying it into the ductwork. Not much time to work on it today, have a 5 year old's birthday party to attend this afternoon. :)

Now I am going to build a new one for the garage, I miss having it warm out there already!
take care,
dave

Yeah Dan, the new one will be made with two barrels.
This one works so well. It's now 72 in here, way too warm for our liking! LOL but it is hovering around the freezing mark.
I may have to open a window soon.

not just keeping big oil out of my wallet remember electric companies to, us poor southern boys don't have those fancy oil fired boilers you guys have up north.
after being on wood for 3 yrs im not going back because it is nice to see a 51$ electric bill instead of 250$

had to spend some $ up front , but got my elec bill under 39$ a month

WOW! My light bill has never been that low. How do you do it, just one light bulb and a tv? LOL
I really never used that much fuel oil in the house, about 250 gallons or so a heating season.
I guess the electric rates around here are higher than some areas.

I'm not sure if I like this set up or not, just got home from grandsons birthday party and it's 73 in here! Outside air temp is about 34.
Kind of funny having it 67-68 in here all winter and now this.

OK, here are a couple of pics as promised.
SDC10861_zpsf98d3a06.jpg

SDC10860_zps6cbbc607.jpg

WOW! My light bill has never been that low. How do you do it, just one light bulb and a tv? LOL
I really never used that much fuel oil in the house, about 250 gallons or so a heating season.
I guess the electric rates around here are higher than some areas.

I'm not sure if I like this set up or not, just got home from grandsons birthday party and it's 73 in here! Outside air temp is about 34.
Kind of funny having it 67-68 in here all winter and now this.

led lites and energy star appliances

Well I had to fire up the outside stove the other day. It's now 73 in here and 32 out, been windy all day too, I have had the sliding door open half way all afternoon to keep it "comfortable". I have nice dry wood for a change and have only been putting two to three splits in at a time. I wish there was a simple way to slow the heat output and get longer burn times. I have the air all but shut off to this thing.
stay warm my friends,
dave

led lites and energy star appliances

Seriously?? Do you live alone? In an apartment?
I live in a big drafty victorian house with a wife and 8 kids. Our electric bill is enormous, as is our gas bill. 2 loads of laundry a day, dishwasher, lights, toasters, microwave, etc. etc. I wish they could make LED appliances!

I do what we can with our wood stove, but I'll have to turn the boiler on in another few weeks to make it livable.

I understand how you feel Uncle, its down to the wife ,myself and two late teen boys at home know.

Wish I could get it in their heads that electricity and hot water are not free. Came in house Saturday and every light in house was on and three flat screen tvs were playing and nobody was home....

I understand how you feel Uncle, its down to the wife ,myself and two late teen boys at home know.

Wish I could get it in their heads that electricity and hot water are not free. Came in house Saturday and every light in house was on and three flat screen tvs were playing and nobody was home....

Get a killawatt and figure out what stuff really costs with your electricity rate on a monthly basis. Show them, then mention what you could have bought with that money instead.

http://www.p3international.com/products/p4400.html

Dave your setup is kind of like mine my furnace is in basement and use a "special modified" trailer to bring wood in. Mine is hooked to duct work for whole house and we love it. I had to make a odd shaped box to connect it but it works good!

Like the title says, I woke up at 5 am and it was 70* in the house (we usually kept it at 67-68). Reason is, I moved my outside hot air wood furnace from the garage to the house! That thread can be found here (http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/154832.htm)
Yeah, I stopped supporting big oil yesterday! After testing it for almost 3 seasons in the garage and looking at the price of fuel oil I decided it was time.
I'll try to get a couple of pics some time this morning. I filled the dump trailer up with splits and backed it right in next to the furnace.
I made a panel to fit into a door opening, I have a walk out basement and we never use that door (there are two others in basement). House is a one level ranch with walk out basement.
Only problem is that I have to figure out is how to get the warm air distributed more evenly. I have fan in the hallway (basement is finished) and it works fine but I don't like to leave it on all night.
I need to see about tying it into the ductwork. Not much time to work on it today, have a 5 year old's birthday party to attend this afternoon. :)

Now I am going to build a new one for the garage, I miss having it warm out there already!
take care,
dave
Found a few Fawcettes
http://www.kijiji.ca/b-buy-sell/fredericton/wood-furnace/k0c10l1700018
Road trip, US dollar is worth more.

Heh.....I hear you. Got my chimney cleaned last nite, very little soot. I was happy. I did pull a big birds nest out. 3 swipes down and finally got it out. Anyway, got it cranked up late last night and put a couple small chunks in the morning, was about 72. Got home from work and wife put a couple in at noon, it is blasted 76 in hear now.

Latest posts

Back