Woo Hoo, Half my black Locuts tree fell

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find that green locust splits fairly easily and dry will almost fall apart due to the deep checking. Been awhile since I checked but I recall the charts listing it as either 'easy' or 'moderate' in splitting effort.

Harry K
Harry, that's remarkable. There are several varieties of locust, so that might explain it. We have stalled out a 20-ton log splitter on occasion while trying to get through locust. Around here, it's tough as nails--easily as tough as American elm. Locust crotchwood is--well, never mind. :censored: :dizzy:

I do recall loading up my pickup with green locust one year, mounding it up without the side rails because I knew the stuff was dense as pea soup. The load was so heavy that the truck cussed at me all the way home. I told her, "It's OK, girl. I understand. I'll always remember in the future to mix something else in." :buttkick:

Harry, that's remarkable. There are several varieties of locust, so that might explain it. We have stalled out a 20-ton log splitter on occasion while trying to get through locust. Around here, it's tough as nails--easily as tough as American elm. Locust crotchwood is--well, never mind. :censored: :dizzy::

I should have added 'easy IF you can get the wedge started'. Try to tap in a wedge and it jsut bounces out. I have had to cut a kerf with the saw before the wedge would stay in. That is the cause of splitters failing to split. It takes some real concentrated force to start the split but then it goes good. My splitter also will refuse but starting a split with the wedge only contacting it by an inch or two or angling the chunk so it starts as a point works.

Harry K

Latest posts

Back