Woo Hoo, Half my black Locuts tree fell

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blowncrewcab

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I Have a black locust tree out in my horse pasture, They have been nibbling on the bark for a while. well sunday I went outside and noticed half the tree has fallen. Now the wife wants me take the rest down. The base is so big I'll have to cut from each side with my 20" bar and that will barely make it. I Know it probably won't be good to burn this year, But next year we'll be nice and toasty....:popcorn:

I would think a bigger saw would almost be mandatory in a situation like this.:clap:

Thats stuff is HARD. I took a few down with the 394XP, and with the 32" bar even (smallest I have for that saw, unless I throw on a Stihl bar with the adapter) it took a loooonnnnnngggggg time to get through it. Make sure you jack up the oil as high as it'll go, and keep the chain sharp. I'd chop off the bark before you start your cuts, otherwise the dirt in it will dull up your cutters in a hurry.

Have you ever cut BL if not you are in for a treat. Plan on buying a new chain and possably a bar

Black Locust green cuts ok. I've cut that live on a couple of occasions. Black Locust that is dead standing or laying for a while, it is a :censored: to cut. I have found that when well seasoned it is second only to oak for burn times and BTUs.

locust

All I have cut for the last three years is locust,You will like the heat that you get from it. When I cut it I file the chain every tank of gas just to keep them sharp. I cut one last year that was over 50" at the base and even after I cut them up in 1/6 of the round I about strained myself loading them,but out here it is the best thing going. good luck
TOM

Until I found this site I didn't know Locust was any good (for firewood) I do know I have some limbs that have been on the ground for 3+ years and are as hard as a baseball bat. it doesn't seem to rot like some other woods. also when you hit a piece thats hiddin in the grass with the bush hog you know you hit something good.

As for the bigger saw.....The wife "Says" you already have 3, what more do you want??? Then I tell her about you guys and how more saws are better. So now I'm looking for something bigger, Faster, You know, pro grade. Heck, I'll sell all the others if I could just get 2 good ones (selling the others should pay for 1) Then I just need to splain to her how I need 2 incase 1 gets stuck...

Until I found this site I didn't know Locust was any good (for firewood) I do know I have some limbs that have been on the ground for 3+ years and are as hard as a baseball bat. it doesn't seem to rot like some other woods. also when you hit a piece thats hiddin in the grass with the bush hog you know you hit something good.

As for the bigger saw.....The wife "Says" you already have 3, what more do you want??? Then I tell her about you guys and how more saws are better. So now I'm looking for something bigger, Faster, You know, pro grade. Heck, I'll sell all the others if I could just get 2 good ones (selling the others should pay for 1) Then I just need to splain to her how I need 2 incase 1 gets stuck...

or how you need a back up if one breaks down or how buying a bigger saw will help and be safer and that you dont want to burn up your other saws....

I have found that when well seasoned it is second only to oak for burn times and BTUs.

Black locust and hickory should burn longer and have more BTU's than oak. I think there are a few others as well... including osage orange (cuts like steel), ironwood, blue beech, and I think black birch. I'm sure others can add to the list.

HAHAH, look what I started. Anyways, I would suggest something BIG. Everyone needs a big saw. This would be the prefect test for a 90cc saw. Good luck on convincing your wife :D

HAHAH, look what I started. Anyways, I would suggest something BIG. Everyone needs a big saw. This would be the prefect test for a 90cc saw. Good luck on convincing your wife :D

And if she says "You don't need that !" You can alwys counter with "How many shoes do you need ? You only have 2 feet."

"Well ! That's enrirely different ! They are for certain outfits and different occasions !"

Come back with "And occasionally I need a different saw that will do the job better !" or The color of my old saw doesn't match the color of my new PPE."

Last edited:
And if she says "You don't need that !" You can alwys counter with "How many shoes do you need ? You only have 2 feet."

"Well ! That's enrirely different ! They are for certain outfits and different occasions !"

Come back with "And occasionally I need a different saw that will do the job better !" or The color of my old saw doesn't match the color of my new PPE."

ROFL!! Let us know how you time in the dog house goes.. LOL

"The color of my old saw doesn't match the color of my new PPE."
ROFL ROFL..... ok I'm a little concerned at that last one... :eek:

Get a longer bar for that ported Husky and be done with it. You don't really need a vibrationless Dolmar 7900 with 28" bar, nope, Stihl 460/660 with 24"-32" bar and skip chain, nada, Jonsred 2170 with 28" bar, nyet, no way. Just get that little job over with and take her out for a nice meal, at a nice place, and park the car in front of the closed saw dealer, where in the window is Mr. PPE holding a nice, new 70+cc saw, just waiting for you.:cheers:

ROFL!! Let us know how you time in the dog house goes.. LOL

"The color of my old saw doesn't match the color of my new PPE."
ROFL ROFL..... ok I'm a little concerned at that last one... :eek:

Glad you found the humour in it. The key words to the woman are "color","old" and "doesn't match". Of course she is going to challenge you on it. The question is do you give in to her ? and how quickly ? You want the saw right ?

Having been married 15 years, I never slept on the couch 'cause she or I was mad. 4 years ago I stopped waking up grumpy in the middle of the night. She sleeps someplace else and it doesn't concern me.

For those still married, women more appreciate when colors go together. She knows that if she wants to use that one on you it has to work for her. If it will get you the saw to use her tactics on her, then do it.

A woman will freely spend $10 on a $20 item that she doesnt need, because it was on sale.
A man will grudgingly spend $20 on a $10 item that he needs and use it often.

Last edited:
Black Locust green cuts ok. I've cut that live on a couple of occasions. Black Locust that is dead standing or laying for a while, it is a :censored: to cut. I have found that when well seasoned it is second only to oak for burn times and BTUs.
QFT. Black locust has about the same density as white oak and some charts rate it even heavier. Much tougher to split (about the same as dry elm), but it's worth it.

Season it well (give it a year) and enjoy the heat. Don't try to burn it green or it will hiss at you like a rattle snake. I turn mallet heads out of it on the lathe that last almost forever.

I just cut and loaded some green locust on the truck this morning. My back hurts. :givebeer:

QFT. Black locust has about the same density as white oak and some charts rate it even heavier. Much tougher to split (about the same as dry elm), but it's worth it.

Season it well (give it a year) and enjoy the heat. Don't try to burn it green or it will hiss at you like a rattle snake. I turn mallet heads out of it on the lathe that last almost forever.

I just cut and loaded some green locust on the truck this morning. My back hurts. :givebeer:

I find that green locust splits fairly easily and dry will almost fall apart due to the deep checking. Been awhile since I checked but I recall the charts listing it as either 'easy' or 'moderate' in splitting effort.

Harry K

Back