Wood Ashes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sprinkle them in the driveway for traction, add them to the garden/compost pile or feed them to the garbage truck.

Jeff

I sprinkle them in the driveway for traction, add them to the garden/compost pile or feed them to the garbage truck.

Jeff
My wife puts them down for traction too. Every year we have the same argument - I want to save them to try my hand at making soap, and every year she uses them up.

The hill in front of my house (private road) is EXTREME so I keep them to sprinkle there once the ice hits. We loose neighbors cars on that road every winter.

The hill in front of my house (private road) is EXTREME so I keep them to sprinkle there once the ice hits. We loose neighbors cars on that road every winter.

Sounds good....I guess ashes would work on a slick wooded dirt road....until the ashes too got wet....

Sounds good....I guess ashes would work on a slick wooded dirt road....until the ashes too got wet....

You'd be surprised at how well they work, the dark color draws heat from the sunlight and absolutely destroys the ice. I have never seen things go bad from the ashes getting wet.

I keep a metal trash can that I put my ashes in. I use a lot of the ashes on the icieir parts of my gravel drive throughout the winter. What's left is spread out on my lawn ,or throughout the rest of the property in the early spring. It tends to reduce soil acidity ,which is a problem in this part of Pa.

My wife puts them down for traction too. Every year we have the same argument - I want to save them to try my hand at making soap, and every year she uses them up.

well everyone knows that us wood cutters only take a bath once a year whether we need it or not! so my question is " how many buckets of ash do you need to make a half bar of soap" ..... ?????? when it rains it pours so showers do help in between !!!! ? lol

Not really , Just spread the left overs from Your burns ,ash,bits of charcoal ,and all .
That is unless You're OCD ,in which case You may want to sort the ashes by species .:rock::msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin:

:monkey:

Thinking nails...I use a lot of pallet wood and old lath from renovations for kindling. Miss a few nails from time to time!:msp_rolleyes:

:monkey:

Thinking nails...I use a lot of pallet wood and old lath from renovations for kindling. Miss a few nails from time to time!:msp_rolleyes:

Dont bother with sifting...its a pain and very messy. Buy the biggest cheapest pair of speakers they have at the local salvation army and tear the magnets outs. Drop one in your ash bucket and you'll have no trouble getting them all.

Back