Purple Ash with first Emerald Ash Borer exit hole

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avenger1212

Reaction score
I've been treating my purple ash tree with BioAdvanced Tree and Shrub Protect and Feed for 3 years now as the EAB is now in our area. I just found an emerald ash borer exit hole on this tree that wasn't there earlier this year. Does that mean my treatment isn't working? The tree is otherwise healthy and this is the first sign of them I've found on it. I'd hate to lose this tree as it is essentially the shade in our back yard and blocks hot evening sun from hitting the living room windows.

You'll probably find that your math is off. Amount of active ingredient needed to control EAB plus the size of your tree is mostly likely not found in a protect and feed product.

You'll probably find that your math is off. Amount of active ingredient needed to control EAB plus the size of your tree is mostly likely not found in a protect and feed product.
You're probably right. I did more research and while I have no canopy dieback yet, the infestation is worse than one hole. I didn't know until today vertical splits are also symptoms of the EAB. I have numerous splits on branches splitting off from the trunk. I see their larva trails inside those splits. Some have started to heal over. I know I saw one or two of these last year, but didn't think anything of it. I'll be contacting an arborist tomorrow to see if we can start injection treatments.

I really don't want to lose this tree. It's the largest on our property, and is the main shade source for the house. My wife and I also planted it shortly after we were married, so it's got some sentimental value too.

Most trees with 30% canopy decline can be recovered. We have had good success with TREE-age injections.
I don't see any canopy decline, which is to say I see no dead leaves on the tree at the top. It looks full still. It's still a nice looking tree. But it's getting signs of EAB infestation, so we're going to have to take action now.

Our tree is 43" in circumferece, which I believe is about 14" in diameter. Will they likely treat the tree now, or wait until next spring? Should I expect this to be an expensive treatment also?

We treat trees as long as they are transpiring and not under drought stress. Costs for TREE-age injection can range from $10-20 a diameter inch. With only one small tree you may have a service call charge.

We treat trees as long as they are transpiring and not under drought stress. Costs for TREE-age injection can range from $10-20 a diameter inch. With only one small tree you may have a service call charge.
Thanks for the info!

I have used the Advanced Bayer stuff for years and it has done well on my landscape but it is pretty diluted. Considering a large tree you have to use a lot of product. I have bored 2 inch holes in the ground in the drip zone with a power auger and put the mix in there. You can buy much more concentrate product on Amazon for much less. I am not a professional just a homeowner so I can't really give advice on doses.

Latest posts

Back