Wood Box by the Stove.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know nobody has posted here in a while, but I thought I would share some pics of a box I built a couple months ago to use by our stove.
image.jpeg
Unfinished wood box is sanded, assembled, and ready for stain and finish.
image.jpeg
Applying stain, which really brings out the grain in the oak boards.
image.jpeg
The finished product.
image.jpeg
The top and bottom boards have a natural, live edge for a rustic look.
image.jpeg
The bottom board still has some of the saw marks from the sawmill and a couple of knot holes--lumber came from trees my dad cut down and took to a sawmill. When I was younger, I helped him take several truck loads of logs to the sawmill, bring the rough-cut lumber back, and stack in a barn to dry for years (this wood was probably cut 20 or 30 years ago).
image.jpeg
The shelves are removable and adjustable, resting on steel pegs (cut from a nail) in holes drilled at multiple heights.
image.jpeg
Finish matches the wood used around the sides of the hearth.
image.jpeg
In place and ready to load.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Shelves loaded with firewood, kindling, and newspapers (we ended up taking the bottom shelf out for now--will be more useful when we use two different kinds of firewood).

Knowing that the box was kind of close to the stove (and after feeling how hot the side of the box would get while the stove was burning), I cut a piece of 1/2" cement board to use as a heat shield (same material used for the wall shield behind the stove)--painted with the same blue paint as the wall (not purple like some of these pics seem to show).
image.jpeg
Heat shield is about one inch from the side of the box.
image.jpeg
Now the box stays cool even with a hot fire burning in the stove.
image.jpeg
Top piece of wood has a notch to hook onto the side of the box (no screws).

I have one made out of 3/4" plywood that was leftover when I built my stove pad. It has wheels on it so I just wheel it out the front door, fill it up and wheel it back in. Holds a couple days worth of wood, it's around 22x24 and maybe 24 deep or so.

Latest posts

Back