Wood Burning-Question?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tash329

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm new here but for a few posts. I live in S.W. NJ, its kinda like nowhere here. Closest anything is 10 miles & lots of trees. Anyway, I've been cutting my own firewood for 4 years now, this last year I cut about 50% oak, 40% cherry & 10% silver maple. All was seasoned the same way, in the N.W. coner of my property. Great wind in winter and summer. Now the question, the oak and cherry have seasoned nicely but the silver maple when burned still shows alot of moister when burnt. Can someone tell me why? Being less dense I thought it would season faster.

Thanks Rich
Semper Paratus

I have to ask, are you sure it's Silver Maple?

Silver Maple here, when bucked and split, takes about 6 months to season.
Bark on/off doesn't matter.

If the rounds are not split, it takes just a tad over a year.

That's South Central Pennsylvania, uncovered and full light.

I always find that the less dense woods such as maple absorb alot more water (rain and snow) then the harder stuff.

I'm pretty sure its silver maple, theres tons of it here not much else in the maple family around that I know of, plus it matches every discription found in my tree ID book (my second line of defence on IDing). I don't cover my wood, so yes it open to rain and snow, but before use it sits on my porch several days.

Rich
Semper Paratus

I'm pretty sure its silver maple, theres tons of it here not much else in the maple family around that I know of, plus it matches every discription found in my tree ID book (my second line of defence on IDing). I don't cover my wood, so yes it open to rain and snow, but before use it sits on my porch several days.

Rich
Semper Paratus

What you need is a woodshed. Dried maple is like a sponge.

+1 to all those who have said about maple sucking up the water.

Here's my defense, about a year ago, maybe more now, i had my property timbered. 75% of what was cut was maple. Most was stored in the wood shed. It dried, but never lost its color. The rest that wouldnt fit, was stored in the open. The stuff outside picked up lots of moisture. i seen quickly that it had moisture in it and brought in 2 weeks worth of wood and pointed my duct work at the pile to help in drying it out. about 3 days worth of constant heat helped in the dryin process. But with that said, yes i agree with the guys. compared to the super hard/dense woods, it will soak water a bit. just bring some in and allow ample dry out time. i do that with all my wood. try to anyhow. lol

Thanks everyone for your help. I don't know alot about wood, but I was sure you guys could help. I think in the future I'll stay with the oak and cherry.

Semper Paratus

If you get a roof over your wood you'll probably notice a difference in all of it. The soft maple when dried under a roof is light and will burn fairly quickly. It's good for warming the house up quickly but it's been my experience that it starts getting punky if not burned within a year or so.

If you get a roof over your wood you'll probably notice a difference in all of it. The soft maple when dried under a roof is light and will burn fairly quickly. It's good for warming the house up quickly but it's been my experience that it starts getting punky if not burned within a year or so.

+1... Build yourself a wood shed... You know you want one... Then you can season any and all wood. Soft maple is my wife's favorite... "Instant gratification thing" Just get it done!!! You'll wonder how you ever got along without it... :smile-big:

Wood Shed

I'd love a wood shed. Just gota come up with a design & plans. I've given some thought to covering the wood with tarps, but think the wind here would rip it up in no time. Not crazing about covering with any hard materials, again due to the wind. The up side is, this part of Jersery is very flat, nothing but marsh from here to the Delaware Bay (about 7 miles or so) which is dandy for drying wood. So a well vented semi open shed would be just the ticket.

Semper Paratus

Go to the -"Show me your firewood storage/shed/rack.......please" Thread on this site for some pretty cool ideas...

I just have my wood for the following year stacked out on the back of my property and covered with tarps with the ends left open (so air can flow through)

Keeps everything nice and dry

Back