Wood Chips in OWB?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Industry

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anyone ever do this? I have access to free chips(Hard/soft mix) and wondered if it was possible. Probably take more frequent loading, any other drawbacks?

I dont see them exploding but it could flash up on you if you are not careful.

I dont think they would burn for squat if you really packed the burner full, and if you didnt pack it full you would have to put more in every few hours or so. Not to mention all the ashes you will be shoveling.

Free is free but I think it would be a pain and very messy

wood chips

It depends on the unit you have . I have a Empyre which has tubes on the sides that inject air in to the fire chamber I have a Asphlund whisper chipper and it works great in the spring summer and fall it work great .

I burn wood indoors, but I think if I was going to attempt to burn wood chips in an owb I would pack them in medium sized cardboard boxes first. That way you only have throw in a few boxes when the door is open rather than fussing with shovel fulls of chips. I'm sure you could get an unlimited supply of free boxes anywhere.

matt

Paper grocery bags work great.
My grandpa used to burn loose coal like this in a fireplace!

My first thought is they might smother themselves out and need constant stirring up to get them to burn without just smoldering. Kind of like trying to burn a phonebook. But it may work, any free heat is good heat.

chips smoke like h@#$!!!!...you neighbors will hate you......my neighbor a 1/4 mile away burns them in his OWB(i installed it) and it fogs me out when the wind is blowin" right....

Back