Wood chuck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cskyline

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a tree service out and had a woodchuck with 6 cylinder ford 300 is this machine worth using ? I would have to do engine work to get it started . What size of brush would it handle ? I know they are not as safe as the Vermeer that I bought any thoughts on this machine would be appreciated.

Well sounds like you like the idea of owning it lol . It maybe for sell at some point I have this equipment that I want to start a business in the near future I am too old to do this type of work but would love to see it get off the ground and help others that hate their current jobs like I did working at a job I hated in my area.

I have had three "chuck and duck" chippers of various brands over the years. I have the itch to pick up another one

Back in the chuck and duck day we had Asplundh 16" chippers with Ford 300 6's and Ford V8's. Not much difference in performance between the 2. Our rule of thumb back then was the machine would take about half the diameter limb as the width of the blades. A 16" drum would take an 8" limb.

Back in the chuck and duck day we had Asplundh 16" chippers with Ford 300 6's and Ford V8's. Not much difference in performance between the 2. Our rule of thumb back then was the machine would take about half the diameter limb as the width of the blades. A 16" drum would take an 8" limb.
Thank you for sharing this information .

I had two 16 inch ones with 330 Ford V8s and a 12 inch with a 300 6 cylinder.
Our 78 F600 had a 330 in it. That thing had 2 speeds, slow and slower. It didn't matter if the 12'X6' high chipper box was swept out clean, or over flowing full, with the chipper on, it was slow! Put a full load of wood on it, it was just a little slower.

Our 78 F600 had a 330 in it. That thing had 2 speeds, slow and slower. It didn't matter if the 12'X6' high chipper box was swept out clean, or over flowing full, with the chipper on, it was slow! Put a full load of wood on it, it was just a little slower.
Did it have a 2 speed axle? If not that would help.

Back