Wood Chute

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwinch53

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Howdy...I store all of my wood in my basement and I have been wheelbarrowing it in thru my walk out...But i would like to have a wood chute and do not have a window on the side of the basement where i store my wood...any suggestions on wood chute???? DW :popcorn:

We have one here, that dad used a 16" or 18" piece of pvc that was scrap from a city job. He concreted it into the wall of the basement. I don't use it now, I use our bilco doors.

We use an old playground slide at my grandmothers, it has been there for at least 30 years, from back when playground stuff was made out of metal.

We have one here, that dad used a 16" or 18" piece of pvc that was scrap from a city job. He concreted it into the wall of the basement. I don't use it now, I use our bilco doors.

Might you have a picture? thanx, DW

Here is a picture. Its not the greatest, but you get the idea. The walls are around 1" thick. I have put tons of wood down the thing over the years. Now its covered in a porch, and no longer used.

Here is a picture. Its not the greatest, but you get the idea. The walls are around 1" thick. I have put tons of wood down the thing over the years. Now its covered in a porch, and no longer used.

Thank you for the pic...just one more question...does the outside 45 degree up or just straight...did it have a cover of some sort?

big relief

Wow fellas!! I made one of these that I could set up and remove from the basement steps and my wife had me CONVINCED I was a few marbles short for making such a device :dizzy: !! I heard about how silly this chute was for the whole season after I made it.....I am really glad to know i'm NOT NUTS! I've kept my chute a secret from AS for fear of harassment and ridicule!!! now if you'll excuse me while i go stick my foot in my wife's arse:censored:

Its just cut 90 on both ends. Dad never really had a cover on it. We have rubber foam in the chute, and thats it. Had a coon get in it this spring, had to shoot the damn thing in the basement. That was fun. If the chute wasn't covered by the porch, I would have a steel lid that would be bolted in the pvc, and have a lock on it. No matter how hard that thing was hit, it wouldn't crack or nothing.

Make an opening in the wall to handle your needs.
We just pitch it through a rough opening, once used for wood, then coal, now wood again, and since I prefer the natural light coming in, there is a barn sash in the opening when not in use.
Laynes, your basement and mine look identical, and that tube looks pretty handy.

ive got the same problem....except i have windows

except the windows are a foot below ground level...srry to hi-jack but any idears to do that. The window wells are the half oval ones that come out about max a foot from the foundation...the window is also hinged from the bottom and opens in. i think im gonn have to rip out the window.

thanks and great ideas

yetty - I had the same thing, later today [when it gets daylight] I'll get some pics of what I did - O.K., it's daylite & 14F outside, so here's the pics. This was the same window well that was set below grade, It was a part of the foundation that was block.
hatch2.jpg
Dug it out & went deep enough to get some footings in, then layed block to get the shape. On the inside it looks like
hatch1.jpg
I used to throw into the hatchway [were no steps in mine then] and wheelbarrow the wood to the other end of the basement. That job sucked. The way it is now, I has to put up a chain & wire net to keep the wood from the chute from bashing the Harman boiler. Talk about a job well worth it. I send a half to 3/4 or a cord in there now, no stacking or moving it.

Last edited:
yetty - I had the same thing, later today [when it gets daylight] I'll get some pics of what I did - O.K., it's daylite & 14F outside, so here's the pics. This was the same window well that was set below grade, It was a part of the foundation that was block.
hatch2.jpg
Dug it out & went deep enough to get some footings in, then layed block to get the shape. On the inside it looks like
hatch1.jpg
I used to throw into the hatchway [were no steps in mine then] and wheelbarrow the wood to the other end of the basement. That job sucked. The way it is now, I has to put up a chain & wire net to keep the wood from the chute from bashing the Harman boiler. Talk about a job well worth it. I send a half to 3/4 or a cord in there now, no stacking or moving it.

Mike...this is exactly what I was looking to find here...looks like a spring project to me...do you think i could get the dimensions? please and thanx. DW:) :givebeer:

DW, the inside opening is 30" tall, 42" wide. Outside it's 4' wide & sticks out from the house 30". The slant part on the inside, I had 3/4" plywood on to keep the cement from getting all dinged up, it lasted 3 years. I replaced it with 1" hickory boards from my mill. They'll probably outlast me. The lid on the outside is 1/2" CCA plywood, it's held up pretty good. It's hinged at the top opens up wide & latches back to a wire. If you have a block foundation, it'll be 10X easier. If you have to saw concrete to get a big enough opening, well, thats a lot of work. Wish I'd done mine years before for the labor it saves not having to wheelbarro that wood.

I use an old section of rollers. Kinda like the kind at the grocery store. I picked up 30 feet of it at an auction years ago. The section I use is about 24 inches wide and 6 feet long. The rollers are about 2 inches in diameter. Works great, just lay them on there and they roll into the basement. My window is about six feet high so I can get a whole truckload in at a time.

Back