Wood dries from the end? Or sides? Or BOTH?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will never stack wood with bark on it ever again. Took 2 rounds from the same tree split one right after cutting it and left the other 1 sit out in the elements for 1 year. Split that round the next year and removed all bark, both were stacked outside in sun and open to air. 2 years aftercutting I checked the moisture the pieces with bark removed were drier than the pieces that had been split 1 year prior and left a total of 2 years to dry vs 1. Bark holds moisture, go to your stacks and peal the bark back I bet there's moisture under it.

End grain dries faster on unsplit wood (rounds). However, exposed side grain dries the total mass of the wood (all logs from the round added together) when the rounds are split because more surface is exposed to air and sun.

Also, when the round is split, the bark sometimes falls off the outside of the split logs, and that dries the total mass even faster. Bark holds in moisture. That's what helped the tree live. Without bark attached, the air and sun dry the wood far more quickly. Eventually, the bark dries also and makes good tinder.

Sun has only a minor effect on drying in spite of what the common belief is. A couple of reasons. Only a very small portion of the wood is exposed to the sun, mostly the ends and even then only the one rick that is in the sunlight. As for teh sides of the wood, only those few pieces on top of the rick are affected

Exposre to teh prevailing wind is the primary consideration. Given a good orientation in the shade vice a poor one in the sun, I'll pick the shade eery time.

Some argument can be made that the sun heating does somewhat increast the 'draft' through the pile though.

Harry K

Good points, Harry. Last month I delivered a truckload of mixed hardwoods to a lady who wanted it stacked on the front porch. It was a covered porch on the northwest side and only got the late afternoon sun. But, the prevailing winds in winter come in from the west and north. The wood was a bit damp, and I was concerned. She called yesterday and said the wood was drying rapidly and all was well.

When it comes to drying firewood, the wind is your friend. I'd rather deliver to a porch than a garage.

On that note.... There are maps for prevailing wind direction per geographic location... Also, check whitetail deer hunting tips about convection currents, and how to check for them. You'll better understand how to stack for optimimum air currents...

Back