Wood for smoking?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Cleared an old dead Poplar that fell into a farmer's field. Spotted 4 old and long dead brushy trees. Look like apple. I know several people who would take green apple for smoking but is dead and dry also usable for smoking?

Smoking a loin as I type this with good and dry apple. Have a stock of Apple, Cherry and Hickory and tend to use Cherry the most. I agree very much with Buzzsawyer dryer the better and control the air flow.

I have some apple I've set aside the last year or two. It's either that or maple. Yes, dry.

Anyone ever use mulberry?
Never have myself had a friend try it and a sassafras tree dont know of thats spelled right. Said the sasafras tree was like cinnamon. Said the mulberry turned out sweet but was unsure if there was cross contamination from smokeing the sasafras first.

I start with a double layer of unlit briquets, cover with a single layer of fully burning briquets, then toss my smoking wood on top. When finished, the wood still has it's shape but has turned to charcoal. That tells me no flare-ups. Temp remains constant - around 240F. A whole pork shoulder takes about 6 hours to reach 165F. I can get an 8 - 10 hour burn this way. This is in a smoker I built from a vertical 55 gal drum.

I have a friend who just came back from Oregon and smoked some salmon with some semi-green apple and it was phenomenal. I always soak my wood for smoking unless I am doing something like brats where it's a quick couple hours and the casing doesn't have a ton of time to absorb the flavor.

Back